Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2004 8:22:32 PM EDT
I"m trying to figure out the loose fitting of the buttstock.  The buffer tube is screwed in there tight.  The stock is then put on and secured by screw.  Yet the buttstock is twistable left and left by 1/32.  any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it an A1 or A2 style stock? (sounds like it)  If so:

Check the little extension on the lower front of the buttstock that inserts in a recess below the receiver extension threads at the back of the lower receiver.

Without the buttstock screw in place, check for fit in the lower.

Either the receiver hole is too large, or the extension on the buttstock is too small (more likely being plastic vs. machine aluminum for the receiver.)

You can go the permanent route by using a compound like Acra-glass in the lower recess:

(remove buttstock and safety parts, or the spring will get in your way until it and the detent are hopelessly lost, clean the recess of all oils, put releasing agent on the buttstock, put the acraglass in the recess and screw the buttstock down tight -- and CENTERED!-- until it sets, remove the buttstock and clean off the releasing agent, reassemble, done.)

or the temporary way:

(shim crap into the recess until the buttstock fits tight and doesn't rotate after retightening; this will require dealing with the shimmed crap everytime you take it apart, especially when you reassemble the safety detent and spring.)

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
It is A1 buttstock, w/o trapdoor.  Yeah you're right the recess is mismatched, the extension is too small on buttstock.  May be an A2 stock would fit better.  How much do they cost?  would I be able to trade it for an A2?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
just "shim" it with some tape..
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is A1 buttstock, w/o trapdoor.  Yeah you're right the recess is mismatched, the extension is too small on buttstock.  May be an A2 stock would fit better.  How much do they cost?  would I be able to trade it for an A2?

I had the same problem with an M16 stock. I used a wood boring bit with an extension to deepen the recess  just a tad to get clearance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#5]
One more idea, would electrical tape around buffer tube offer enough thickness to hold the stock in tighter?  seems to work for collap. stock wobbles.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top