Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:28:01 PM EDT
I'd like to add some color to the engravings on my lower.  

What products are available?  Maybe some type of enamel or model paint?

Anyone done this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
model paint
nail polish
china markers
crayon

most will work well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
defintely crayons', where the headlights' MARCUS.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to use a fill in and wipe away wax / chalk / or paint unless you get a prof to do it for you. There are a lot of manufacturers that have this wipe away fill on the market.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a product called "Bonanza Gold" and "Bonanza Silver" made just for that purpose. I'll see if I can locate where to purchase it. I've used it and it works well.  Bill T.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=6633&s=

Brownells has it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a white or red crayon - easy and if you don't like it its easy to remove. It helps to have the metal warm.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I use a white or red crayon - easy and if you don't like it its easy to remove. It helps to have the metal warm.

Chinook3

I tried that, worked great.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Daughter's crayola crayons.

Been there for two years with no need touch up.  I did both sides so I would have an easier time seeing where the safety was if someone else was shooting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, at first I thought the crayon was a joke, but I guess not.

Give me an idea on technique.  Color heavily over engraving, then wipe off excess?  Do you use a solvent to help remove the excess and smooth the filling?

I assume this won't work for barrel engraving
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
china marker how to

previous thread
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to give this a try but im not sure if ill like it, so i plan on using crayons. any tips?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
i cleaned the area first with rubbing alcohol and then filled the letters up with the china marker. removed excess with clp. really easy
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i cleaned the area first with rubbing alcohol and then filled the letters up with the china marker. removed excess with clp. really easy

I tried doing it this way, but the clp would take the china marker back out..... partially at least.

And the red china marker stained the black lower a red tint.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
i cleaned that up with the rubbing alcohol
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I want to give this a try but im not sure if ill like it, so i plan on using crayons. any tips?

Seperate lower and upper
Clean the area to be done with a degreaser
Heat the area with a blow dryer
Rub the crayon on it. It'll melt all over the place if its too hot, don't worry about it.
Let things cool off a little, and scrape the excess crayon off. Use a plastic putty knife or something similar uless you're really sure of yourself with razor blade.
Let things cool down all the way and remove any leftover bleed on the finish with clp, alcohol, etc.
Careful with the wipe, if you have a strong solvent you can wipe the color right out of the engraving.

Easy as pie. Cheap, durable, and reversible if need be.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone!!

Oh, and thanks for not flaming me with 'use the search button', or 'check the archive' (although I should have).

I think I'll go the crayola + hair dryer method.  My kid has lots of colors to choose from.  Anybody tried periwinkle?  How about silver?  Hey, I just found a metalic ruby red crayon in his box!!  Pimp an AR anyone?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top