Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2012 3:36:52 PM EDT
Had to  redo a few things.  
The Loctite did its job.
What was simply hand screwed on had to use a tool to remove all the way. It never was loose enough to do by hand.

I need to use these parts again and want to clean off the Loctite and put on a new layer when reattaching.

What is the best way to clean off the old Locktite?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Wire brush.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the wire brush or wire wheel
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
+2 on the wire brush or if you got it, a wheel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Heat. I remove the threadlocker on any fastner. I would rather apply my own. Get out the butane and have at it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
methylethlketone (MEK) is what we use at work.
They sell it at home depot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
methylethlketone (MEK) is what we use at work.
They sell it at home depot.

........unless you live in CA.  MEK has been banned here.  Glad I layed in a few gallons supply a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Acetone cuts dried loctite.  I just soak the screws and it comes right off.  I use a wet q-tip for threaded holes.  A small wire wheel on a dremel if your in a hurry.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Acetone cuts dried loctite.  I just soak the screws and it comes right off.  I use a wet q-tip for threaded holes.  A small wire wheel on a dremel if your in a hurry.

Does this do anything to the finish or color of the screws?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
+2 on the wire brush or if you got it, a wheel.

make that a +3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top