Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2002 8:13:09 PM EDT
How do you ID a Bushy flattop M4 upper?  I've seen them with the "Y" stamped on the back of the rear pushpin lug, but what if no "Y" mark is there?  Thanks and happy holidays!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the top of the barrel slightly
forward of the front sight/gas block.
If it's a Bushy it will read: B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9
B standing for Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a good question that has come up several times.

The "Y" is not consistent, I have seem them with and without.  I have not been able to find any distinctive markings on the upper receiver to determine authenticity.  The only other thing, is that many Bushy flat-tops have a long rear lug for the takedown pin hole, than other uppers.  There is a thread about this right now.  Perhaps that could be used as evidence as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Look at the top of the barrel slightly
forward of the front sight/gas block.
If it's a Bushy it will read: B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9
B standing for Bushmaster.
View Quote

I appreciate the info, but that's the barrel.  Bushy barrels can be put in any milspec type receiver.  Standing alone, how could you ID a Bushy flattop receiver from lets say, one of those "FN" receivers or any other no name?  One of my flattops has the "Y" stamped on the back of the back lug.  I have seen another that is unmarked.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, I stand corrected. I was assuming you
were referring to a complete Bushmaster
upper. I am aware that a Bushy barrel can
be fitted into any mil-spec type upper.

I agree that the Y is not consistant,
for my Bushy M4 flatop rec. has no "Y" designation on the rear of the takedown lug
but I have noticed the lug marking on other
M4 Bushies I inspected at gun shows.

Contact Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 12:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The upper reciever will have a dry film lube on the inside of the upper receiver.  (dry moly film)  It will appear a grey color but it is only going to be there if its a new upper.  Bushmaster is also coating the inside of the buffer tube now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The upper reciever will have a dry film lube on the inside of the upper receiver.  (dry moly film)  It will appear a grey color but it is only going to be there if its a new upper.  Bushmaster is also coating the inside of the buffer tube now.
View Quote

Thanks ya'll.  This upper has no markings whatsoever.  It is different in details from my Bushy upper.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

DevL, this one does have a battleship grey looking paint like film on the inside of the receiver and about all of it is there.  Bushy?
tia, Cleo
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like Bushy to me.  But a really ingenious person could coat the inside of a noname receiver with a dry moly film to simulate the Bushmaster finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top