Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:52:19 PM EDT
How do you go about defining an M4 for building purposes?

As in the right stock, upper/lower, etc.

I've been bitten by the bug...

Perryh712
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
There are so many variations in service right now, that you can use just about anything that has a M203 stepdown in the barrel, and be pretty close.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How do you go about defining an M4 for building purposes?

As in the right stock, upper/lower, etc.

I've been bitten by the bug...

Perryh712

+1 M4 stepdown in the barrel in front of the sight for mounting the M203 grenade launcher.

14.5" barrel but most guys just permanently install a Phantom FS or just get the 16" version.
KAC M4 QD FS
M4 feed ramps are deeper and longer than the AR-15.
"F" marked front sight base (FSB)
Side mounted front sling mount below the FSB.
M4 double insulated fatter handguards or KAC M4 RAS rails.
M4 upper receiver with ramp cuts that matches the M4 feed ramps in the barrel extension.
KAC 300 m BUIS
M4 6 position stock.

See this chart for M4 SOPOD accessories
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#3]
basically the m4/m203 step in the bbl.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Any M16 carbine currently in us military service. Think about it...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

M4 6 position stock.

Really?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The GUU5P is not an M4, and neither are several of the other variants still seeing service.  Most of the carbines in the military are M4s, but certainly not all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

M4 6 position stock.

Really?

I was talking about the latest M4 version, not the earlier version.

Original model had the 4 position stock.

Pic from SMGLee's thread SOPMOD Block 1 Poster with a little KAC Spin (Pix) link

ETA: Added SOPMOD poster
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The GUU5P is not an M4, and neither are several of the other variants still seeing service.  Most of the carbines in the military are M4s, but certainly not all.

Stick, I agree that there are a few left-over special-issue weapons in service. These are non-standard. The M4 was the first carbine standardized  (1st by the USMC) since the  .30 M1,2&3 series became obsolete. My line of thinking is that since the M4 is considered a modified M16A2 or product improved Mi6 that the 653's etc. (reguardless of configuration) could fall under this classification in the militaries eyes now. I don't know. This is a tough question. I could be all wet too...lol. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Colt's 11.5's are called the M4 Commando.  It has an M4 marked upper. So that and any rifle with an M4 barrel profile is an M4.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Here's the BIG M4GERY PIC THREAD

The pic of my M4gery is posted in there in page 26, third photo.

Here's Colt's M4 Military website link for reference. There are pictures that could be downloaded in the Media Center.

Colt M4 website link
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top