Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2008 2:31:00 PM EDT
How do I take off my front iron sights? They look like they are welded or something on it. I dont have a picture I could show you but I have an Olympic Arms A1 Ar-15 16''
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How do I take off my front iron sights? They look like they are welded or something on it. I dont have a picture I could show you but I have an Olympic Arms A1 Ar-15 16''

Ummm, and we do know that the gas system is running through that sight mount, correct?

To answer your question, I don't recommend doing it at all unless you are an expert.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I just have seen pictures and since Im going with an Aimpoint scope I would rather have them taken off so it dont obstruct my view. I live in a very small town so if I was going to have it done professionally how much would it run me?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO not worth it to go through a gunsmith.

It would be cheaper to buy a new barrel and sell your old one, than to take it to a gunsmith.

Or as said before, you can chop chop. Which is kinda risky depending on your saw skills.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Before ya go gettin all crazy and throwing money at a gunsmith or choppin up your rifle, do some looking around.  Hit up the picture threads and see just how many folks are running red dot sights and still have the front sight on their rifles.  They dont get in the way so why remove it?  Look up cowitness for discussions and definitions.  It is possible to have a scope and iron sight live in harmony.  Just as a guess, from the pic threads I've seen probably 80% of the rifles running red dot sights and scopes still have the front sight attached.

Read up and shoot a bit before worrying about modding your rifle.

Just my $.02.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top