Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/3/2006 12:17:37 PM EDT
Ok i bought a RRA standard complete lower, and i have a couple options on how to finish it...

I can get a complete RRA upper with a 16" DPMS barrel for around 420, but i don't have all that cash right now.

My other option would to buy the remaining parts individually and over time.

I think the second option would better suit me since i can get the parts as i come across money and i can get exactly what i want. The only thing is i'm not quite sure how to assemble it at this level. I can put together an upper and lower but i dont know how to assemble a complete upper. Is it hard to do? i dont have any tools at all here so is it even possible?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:53:46 PM EDT
You need the tools to do a proper job. First, a good bench with a vise setup that allows you adjustability and several angles of access. The Peace River Action Block and Carrier insert is INVALUABLE for holding on the upper while you do barrel work and drive in/out roll pins. Also a barrel vice is much handier than the action block when working on the front site band and gas tube roll pin. Also the multi tooth DPMS style ( or equivalent ) barrel nut wrench is pretty much neccesary. Also the Brownells AR roll pin punch kit, roll pin starter punch kit and a nice 8 ounce ball peen are really needed. And the barrel nut/delta ring assembly timing gauge is handy, too. I haven't even mentioned screwdrivers and bits and such.

Building an upper is pretty easy but you need time/tools and good instructions...those are available here on the site. If you build lots of guns or are wanting to learn in order to wrench on ARs then this is the way to go....BUT if you just want an upper and ONLY one upper from time to time....just buy one.....it's a LOT cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:02:55 PM EDT
Ah... so i guess i should go with the prebuilt route
Top Top