Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 10:30:15 AM EDT
I want to know how secure this rail is. My rifle isn't going to be abused or see much hard use, but it looks like the rail could just side forward off the barrel nut. Am I underestimating the rail?

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:12:08 AM EDT
It's not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:15:26 AM EDT
Mine have been solid as hell.

Granted, I don't do much ninja stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:16:28 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By adavis:
Mine have been solid as hell.

Granted, I don't do much ninja stuff.
View Quote

I second that, love mine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:19:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:20:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 11:21:45 AM EDT by Saladin2]
I just put mine together and the handguard isn't going anywhere but I'm worried about the deflection from the barrel. I can push the handguard in any direction a few millimeters at the muzzle end, and it sort of springs back into place. With a front sight and a dot on the handguard, I want it to spring back to the exact same place.

I haven't fired it yet so I'm not sure if this will be a legit concern.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:38:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 11:41:24 AM EDT by mrPickles]
I have the G2 quad rail (mounts the same way) and I'm very pleased with it. I'd say it's one of the most solid rails in this price range (under $200). Very solid and arguably the best bang for your buck.

If you're willing to spend more, look at the Centurion Arms CMR. Another nice choice, but $100 more expensive.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:49:01 AM EDT
It's not going anywhere with normal usage as long as it doesn't get loose, with hard use and something that might act like a lever such as a bipod or VFG I could imagine it moving if the accessory didn't break in a hard impact such as diving onto the ground, with most or all of your body weight on it.

The long ones do flex, I have receiver mounted optics on mine, I have not tested it with irons, with heavy slinging or loading a bipod the front will move obviously effecting zero, if I put BUIS on that's just what they are, for fun and for if the primary fails and shooting is neccesary, I accept a lesser degree of accuracy in those instances, I wouldn't recommend it for a forward mounted optic for llong range precision.

I got it for light weight and ergos it delivers those very well, but at 15" its a long lever not to flex/move, and I suspect it'd have to be a lot heavier not to.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:16:30 PM EDT
I have one and I admit to being skeptical about the friction/slip fit with the barrel nut. I think it would be a better design with a bolt or two attaching it to the barrel nut.

Might be overkill, but I put red loctite on the barrel nut knurling as a "feel good" measure.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:28:27 PM EDT
That's a damn good rail.  It won't go anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:10:34 PM EDT
Thanks for all the responses guys. The Midwest is looking like my first choice for when I replace my rail.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:28:27 PM EDT
It's very solid. I use on on my duty rifle and can say for a fact that it is not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:58:28 PM EDT
It's gtg.

Plus Andy at MI is a pretty cool guy
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:34:28 PM EDT
I too thought it was a solid lockup but there have been issues where it has slid forward during use. I can't remember if it was an incident of no Loctite being used or not.

Sorry I can't remember the post that relates to this particular  problem.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:37:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Saladin2:
I just put mine together and the handguard isn't going anywhere but I'm worried about the deflection from the barrel. I can push the handguard in any direction a few millimeters at the muzzle end, and it sort of springs back into place. With a front sight and a dot on the handguard, I want it to spring back to the exact same place.

View Quote

this is the reason why your rd dot should be mounted to the receiver and not the handguard.  because of the way free floats mount there is typically a tiny amount of flex.  having an iron sight on the front isn't a huge problem with the flex.  you obviously can't mount the front sight on the receiver and expect to have any sort of accuracy
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:44:36 PM EDT
Exceptional value, nice slim design, no unnecessary rails (unless you want them), and solid as hell when clamped into the proprietary barrel nut that comes with the HG.  Here's my latest installation:

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:52:48 PM EDT

View Quote

I am fairly new to the scientific side of the AR, But it is my understanding that a free float makes the rifle more accurate. If the hand guard is flexing, and you are using your iron sight, wouldn't that make it less accurate?
School me if my line of thinking is wrong.
May not if you were using an optic mounted to the upper, it could absorb some of the recoil shock possibly making it more accurate. But I have a hard time following the concept.
Just trying to learn how to build a better weapon.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:56:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dino11:

I am fairly new to the scientific side of the AR, But it is my understanding that a free float makes the rifle more accurate. If the hand guard is flexing, and you are using your iron sight, wouldn't that make it less accurate?
May not if you were using an optic mounted to the upper, it could absorb some of the recoil shock possibly making it more accurate. But I have a hard time following the concept.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The free float keeps you from putting pressure and slightly moving the barrel while holding it or using a bipod if I understand correctly, but yes if the rail flexes then it will effect the accuracy of the iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:50:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/10/2013 3:53:12 PM EDT by Hahns10mm]
IMO there will be flex with any long FF rail. My 15" Gen1 SS rail will flex in relation to the barrel as well and it's threaded on solidly with a jam nut and it's a big ass tube. I don't think it's the tubes themselves flexing, it's the snout on the upper receiver.

My friend has his Gen2 SS rail slide forward when we were shooting once, he simply didn't have the bolts tight enough, snugged them up and never had a problem.

Originally Posted By Russ4777:
Exceptional value, nice slim design, no unnecessary rails (unless you want them), and solid as hell when clamped into the proprietary barrel nut that comes with the HG.  Here's my latest installation:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/FDE_Left_Side_2.jpg
View Quote

I wondered if you had finished that gun yet, I remember seeing the receivers done, looks great. I just finished a build on the same lower with a 10" Gen2 SS rail. I put 250 rounds through it this weekend the rail stayed right where it should. I love these rails and the panels too.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:37:13 PM EDT
I received the Gen 2 quad rail in 10" on a dedicated .22lr upper and was so impressed with it, I replaced it for the 7" version and swapped it out.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:47:51 PM EDT
My is solid.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:06:35 PM EDT
I have the GEN2 T-series and it's rock solid.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:58:21 PM EDT
Dig the shit outa mine
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:21:05 PM EDT
View Quote

No it doesn't make it more accurate, but it prevents it from being inaccurate when you have inconsistent pressure applied to the handguard (sling, sandbag, barricade, etc.). Because it's isolated from the barrel, the pressure to the handguard doesn't touch the barrel.

Yes if the handguard flexes, whatever sight on it is going to move and point of aim is not going to match point of impact.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:51:47 PM EDT
Solid as hell.  No problems.  Good to go.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:27:41 PM EDT
These rails look great, are fairly priced, and free-floated.

I would definitely get one when I build my next AR.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:15:56 PM EDT
anyone put these through their paces?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 5:17:18 PM EDT by CPD1515]
I am almost done with a build and just added that handguard. I torqued per suggested specs and it seems like it will never move.
" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:43:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

anyone put these through their paces?
View Quote

You mean thrown it down the driveway?  Nah.

I've got the 12" on a midlength upper and it's been really solid.  Doesn't move and I don't have any fears of it coming off.  If you install it correctly it should be gtg.  I've got the 10" version for a pistol I'm assembling right now because I liked the 12" one so much.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:11:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 8:12:10 AM EDT by buffetdestroyer]
I know I'm late to the party, but I absolutely love my Midwest Industries Gen II SS Free Float Handguard and it is absolutely rock solid as it clamps to the barrel nut and has teeth that prevent rotation.

These are a "best buy" as they offered the following benefits:

LIGHT WEIGHT!  These were the lightest per inch of the many forearms I researched which makes my SHTF rifle easier to carry

Thin and easy to hold and grab onto

Inexpensive - these clocked in at less money than any US companies besides the YHM which are heavy and prone to bending of the FF nut holes.

Saves $15 for a barrel nut on a parts build as it is included with the rail

Comes with its own wrench

Came in Flat Dark Earth

Modular - it has the essential top rail for sights/optics, the rest is configured by me on the sides and spots I want where it doesn't get in my way or require rail covers

Made in the USA by pro-Gun Americans that don't crap on our rights or hire people that do
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:39:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 9:39:48 AM EDT by Lancelot]
Topic Moved
Top Top