Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/24/2004 5:07:02 PM EST
I have a Bushmaster that is about 2 years old, and about 1,000 rounds through it. It started to fail to extract ALOT.

I ordered an extractor rebuild kit , and sure enough it fixed the problem.

Do the springs go bad that quickly?

Could it have been the extractor instead of the spring? (it looked good, but I replaced it with the kit anyway) Can I buy a better spring like you can for the mags etc(Wolf etc), or was it just a fluke and I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:09:06 PM EST
wolf makes an X power spring but I use the les baer one with a chromed extractor and ejector
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:11:21 PM EST
IMHO it is unusual for an extractor to fail in that short a time. Did you recently change the type of ammo you used? Change the stock/mainspring/buffer? Do you clean the chamber with a GI chamber brush?

Just a few thoughts. I'm sure others will have more comments to add.

-SC
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:16:26 PM EST
Go ahead and change it out. It's a simple operation and you'll know if that's the problem. You should also take your extractor out and clean that area from time to time. Do you do that?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:31:27 PM EST
That is my #1 failure in my M16. Doesn't matter who makes it, after about 1000 rounds (uncleaned), it starts to fail. It is easier to replace then clean.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:44:23 PM EST
That's weird, because I've never had one fail yet. And this is with 3 different bolt assys (in 2 guns at different times), over 10k rds fired.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:42:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 12:44:03 AM EST by QUIB]
I used to shoot alot of Wolf ammo. I lost track of how many rounds, but it was well in the 3-5,000 rd area. I started to experience FTE's, about 1-2 for every 30 rounds. Even though the extractor appeared good I replaced it. My FTE problem cleared up.

I no longer use steel cased ammo, but I assume the steel wore out my extractor sooner than usual.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:43:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By QUIB:
I used to shoot alot of Wolf ammo. I lost track of how many rounds, but it was well in the 3-5,000 rd area. I started to experience FTE's, about 1-2 for every 30 rounds. Even though the extractor appeared good I replaced it. My FTE problem cleared up.

I no longer use steel cased ammo, but I assume the steel wore out my extractor sooner than usual.

How much $$ do you save by using Wolf? How much is a new extractor and extractor spring?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:58:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By Yojimbo:

Originally Posted By QUIB:

How much $$ do you save by using Wolf? How much is a new extractor and extractor spring?

Hey, I had fun in the process shooting Wolf and saved a few bucks. New extractor was from RRA, don't remember the price, maybe around $15.00.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:07:35 AM EST
When you replace your spring with a new one, install a D-Fender polymer D-Ring under it.
Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:27:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:45:55 PM EST
To answer a few of the above questions.

I had never removed the extractor to clean it before. Since I had less than 1,000 rounds I didn't think it was necessary. I do blast it out with gunscrubber every so often.

I have only shot the following ammo:

Q3131a, and some GOOD reloads using Lake City brass from a local gun shop. After I experienced the Failure to extract, I then tried some Black Hills, and some Federal x193(?) in the brown cardboard box. I NEVER SHOOT WOLF. I have only shot 55grain FMJ, no soft points or hollow points as of yet

The extractor rebuild kit was 13.00 from Bushmaster, and I went ahead and ordered a spare bolt to keep handy.

The old spring looked kinda bent/crooked. If you sat it on the counter it wasn't straight, Is that Normal? Maybe it was assembled wrong at the factory.

Anyway, Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:49:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By slickrick66:
The old spring looked kinda bent/crooked. If you sat it on the counter it wasn't straight, Is that Normal?

Kinked/bent springs are one of the things the maintenance manual warns you to look out for. It isn't normal and probably explains the problem. If you notice a visible kink in any spring, it is time to replace that spring.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:07:55 AM EST
I had my first extractor go bad after 8k of wolf.
My other AR is still using its original extractor/spring (since 1998). I do not shoot it as much as the 4'orgery, and it has used a more mix of brass/wolf ammo.

I paid about $16 for a new extractor/spring/rubber thingie.
Top Top