Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2004 6:07:02 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster that is about 2 years old, and about 1,000 rounds through it. It started to fail to extract ALOT.

I ordered an extractor rebuild kit , and sure enough it fixed the problem.

Do the springs go bad that quickly?

Could it have been the extractor instead of the spring? (it looked good, but I replaced it with the kit anyway) Can I buy a better spring like you can for the mags etc(Wolf etc), or was it just a fluke and I shouldn't worry about it.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
wolf makes an X power spring but I use the les baer one with a chromed extractor and ejector
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO it is unusual for an extractor to fail in that short a time.  Did you recently change the type of ammo you used?  Change the stock/mainspring/buffer?  Do you clean the chamber with a GI chamber brush?  

Just a few thoughts.  I'm sure others will have more comments to add.

-SC
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Go ahead and change it out.  It's a simple operation and you'll know if that's the problem.  You should also take your extractor out and clean that area from time to time.  Do you do that?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#4]
That is my #1 failure in my M16. Doesn't matter who makes it, after about 1000 rounds (uncleaned), it starts to fail. It is easier to replace then clean.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
That's weird, because I've never had one fail yet. And this is with 3 different bolt assys (in 2 guns at different times), over 10k rds fired.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to shoot alot of Wolf ammo. I lost track of how many rounds, but it was well in the 3-5,000 rd area. I started to experience FTE's, about 1-2 for every 30 rounds. Even though the extractor appeared good I replaced it. My FTE problem cleared up.

I no longer use steel cased ammo, but I assume the steel wore out my extractor sooner than usual.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I used to shoot alot of Wolf ammo. I lost track of how many rounds, but it was well in the 3-5,000 rd area. I started to experience FTE's, about 1-2 for every 30 rounds. Even though the extractor appeared good I replaced it. My FTE problem cleared up.

I no longer use steel cased ammo, but I assume the steel wore out my extractor sooner than usual.

How much $$ do you save by using Wolf?  How much is a new extractor and extractor spring?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much $$ do you save by using Wolf?  How much is a new extractor and extractor spring?

Hey, I had fun in the process shooting Wolf and saved a few bucks. New extractor was from RRA, don't remember the price, maybe around $15.00.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#9]
When you replace your spring with a new one, install a D-Fender polymer D-Ring under it.
Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
To answer a few of the above questions.

I  had never removed the extractor to clean it before. Since I had less than 1,000 rounds I didn't think it was necessary. I do blast it out with gunscrubber every so often.

I have only shot the following ammo:

Q3131a, and some GOOD reloads using Lake City brass from a local gun shop. After I experienced the Failure to extract, I then tried some Black Hills, and some Federal x193(?) in the brown cardboard box. I NEVER SHOOT WOLF. I have only shot 55grain FMJ, no soft points or hollow points as of yet

The extractor rebuild kit was 13.00 from Bushmaster, and I went ahead and ordered a spare bolt to keep handy.

The old spring looked kinda bent/crooked. If you sat it on the counter it wasn't straight, Is that Normal? Maybe it was assembled wrong at the factory.

Anyway, Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The old spring looked kinda bent/crooked. If you sat it on the counter it wasn't straight, Is that Normal?

Kinked/bent springs are one of the things the maintenance manual warns you to look out for. It isn't normal and probably explains the problem. If you notice a visible kink in any spring, it is time to replace that spring.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I had my first extractor go bad after 8k of wolf.  
My other AR is still using its original extractor/spring (since 1998). I do not shoot it as much as the 4'orgery, and it has used a more mix of brass/wolf ammo.

I paid about $16 for a new extractor/spring/rubber thingie.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top