Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2004 1:46:12 PM EDT
Ive put < 500 rounds through my (first) ar, and when I clean it, I just shoot CLP into it, work the bolt and let the gunk run out.  I've yet to remove the bolt from the carrier for fear of not being able to get it back together. Is there a general rule of how often a disassembly should be done?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I do it every time. The bolt is easy to put back together. I believe there is a thread with all the details you will need. I don't know where it is but someone will post it for you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I field strip and clean everything each time the AR is fired.
If you need a manual call the manufacturer of your rifle and they will send you one.Or download the -10:
www.ar15.com/content/manuals/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
with my first ar I didn't strip and clean the bolt when I first got the gun ( big mistake ) turns out that the bolt was very dry and I ruined the gas rings
second ar  (dpms AR 10 ) stripped it frist thing and have not had a problem at all rings still look brand new

oh and by the way I clean the bolt and carrier after every outting ( about 100 - 150 rounds)
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:53:44 AM EDT
[#6]
every time i go out and shoot, weather it be 20 rounds or 300 cleaning operation is the same, length just increased.

one tool you dont need is the carbon tool for scraping the back (inside) carrier. just soak in hopes and long q-tips work great.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Bolt and chamber get the most attention from me when I clean.

I clean the bolt completely EVERY time.

Good call here.

Once you see bolt a disassmbled your will be over fears. That's what did it for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I got it apart, and put back together... I just hope it works still :p
Out of curiosity, what do you all use to get the firing pin locking pin out with? I ending
up putting a nail thought the eye of it to get some leverage... Didnt seem right tho, gotta be a
better way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:35:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have used:
nails
screws
bolts
wood wedges
keychain swiss knifes
small screwdrives
live 5.56 ammo (55 grain)
allen keys
torx keys
long needle nose electricans pliers.
car and house keys
even used a section of cleaning rod once.  

basically what ever is in hands reach that is small enough to push or pull the pin.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I agree. dont want any mishaps down the line.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Im a firm believer in a spotless bolt assembly and chamber.  

Consequently, none of my AR's have ever had a problem, and all run well past the 1000 mark between at a single shoot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm gonna buck the trend and say HARDLY EVER ! After each shoot, I use a Q-Tip to clean the outside of the bolt/carrier as a complete assembly, using solvent and then Break Free, but thats it. I might field strip the bolt once a year at most. I pay more attention to a clean bore and inside the upper receiver. I make it a point to lube very sparingly. Works great for me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, I got it apart, and put back together... I just hope it works still :p
Out of curiosity, what do you all use to get the firing pin locking pin out with? I ending
up putting a nail thought the eye of it to get some leverage... Didnt seem right tho, gotta be a
better way.

I'm still a newbie, but I think it's easier just to push from the other side of the carrier with the tip of a cartridge.  The hole is evidently cut on that side to receive one...'cause it fits perfectly.  

Mike
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm gonna buck the trend and say HARDLY EVER ! After each shoot, I use a Q-Tip to clean the outside of the bolt/carrier as a complete assembly, using solvent and then Break Free, but thats it. I might field strip the bolt once a year at most. I pay more attention to a clean bore and inside the upper receiver. I make it a point to lube very sparingly. Works great for me.

I am going to have to jump on this band wagon.

I have a bushmaster and Fulton Armory B/BC that i just wipe down the excess crud after CLPing and wipe off excess stuff out of the receiver and barrel. Going on 3+k rounds of wolf on both of them, not a single problem, besides 1 mag that will feed in one rifle but not the other.

My main maintenance is rust prevention. I have actually tried to let one of them go as long without cleaning and it still ran like a champ. Had to breakdown and clean it for my sanity's sake.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm usally anal about the Bolt, carrier and the Chamber.  I have cleaned sometimes  right in the middle of a range session.  

Then there is the other side of it with my one ArmaLite M15A2. That one is filthy I haven't cleaned that rifle in over a year
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#16]
every time
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#17]
ET
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Strip it, clean it, lube it everytime.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.

+2.

Army habits die hard.  "Don't let you weapon down and your weapon won't let you down."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#21]
When I first got my Bushmaster I didn't know to take the bolt apart and clean it. I had all kinds of crap under the extractor!!

It was causing casings to get stuck in the chamber. Kind of a pain, and embarassing.

Now EVERY time I shoot it, I clean EVERYTHING. Some friends in the 82nd also told me if I do anything with this rifle, keep it CLEAN!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I've found the tip of a plastic fork is great for removing the firing pin retainer, as well as the extractor pin.  I clean the bolt every time, including removing the extractor.  Takes about an extra 5 minutes or less.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I think it is downright necessary to clean the AR after every outing. The bolt, carrier, everything....
Its only gauranteed to run flawless if clean, and you never know when you may have to use it.

I even take apart teh bolt itself and clean the inside the ejector, run a q-tip  throught the inside of the bolt. all the way up .  And the carbon scraper is definatly not needed.

CLP is the greatest cleaner out, used it on my new Bushy, adn my old Eagle, the bushy is chrome lined, the eagle was not.

Get a chamber brush from bushamster, colt or any one,,, easy to clean inside the bore, use a cotton square wrapped around the bristles, and spray some CLP on it, works great, run a dry patch and its nice and clean,,,,also swap inside w/ some qtips works well..
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#24]
FYI, the AR-15 was built so that the only tool that would ever be needed for routine maintainance was a live round. You can adjust the sights whith it, you can push the pins whith it, lower the trigger guard for use with mittens with a cartridge, open the compartmente in the stock, you get the picture.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#25]
1911 is the same way,  only  thing you need the ammo for is removing the grips.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone remove the ejector on the bolt face that kicks the empty case to the right ?I remove my extractor and clean with clp a old tooth brush and q tip but I don't see a way to remove the ejector .Also I marked one side of my bolt cam pin with my wifes nail polish so as to index it the same way every time.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top