Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/30/2005 10:39:11 AM EDT
As above. Once a year? Every X thousand rounds? When?

Thanks,

Rick
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:01:23 PM EDT
I'm not sure. I have the MacFarland 1 piece that I took off after about 700 rd. It measures 0.503" OD, but the RRA original 3-piece gas rings measure larger than that and they're tighter.

My guess is that if your rings measure smaller than 0.500" OD, it MIGHT be time to swap them out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:22:06 PM EDT
Put the McFrarland one piece rings in and dont worry about it
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:31:49 PM EDT
I've only replaced one set but can not tell you what the round count was. It was on a bolt that was in very good shape. Used it for a postban build. It did not have that snug feeling to it when you pushed it in and out of the carrier while assembled. When it came time for live fire, instant FTEx. Changed the gas rings and it run well ever since.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:39:30 PM EDT
Do the gas ring check...
Field strip. Clean bolt and carrier. Insert the bolt into the carrier, being sure it is seated all the way to the rear. Hold the end of the bolt on the lugs and see if the bolt will support the weight of the carrier. If it will not, replace the rings.

Rings don't really wear out that fast. However, when in doubt changed them. Rings are very cheap.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:55:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Eric:
Do the gas ring check...
Field strip. Clean bolt and carrier. Insert the bolt into the carrier, being sure it is seated all the way to the rear. Hold the end of the bolt on the lugs and see if the bolt will support the weight of the carrier. If it will not, replace the rings.

Rings don't really wear out that fast. However, when in doubt changed them. Rings are very cheap.

Beat me to it.
+1
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:30:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By P806:

Originally Posted By Eric:
Do the gas ring check...

Beat me to it.
+1

+2

that being said i have around 7-8k through one without the need for any replacements
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:50:09 PM EDT
Thanks, all.

I will do the gas ring check method as basic maintenance check and may replace rings if/when/as other maintenance issues come up. I feel like I have a better idea of what to look for.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Regards,

Rick

Top Top