Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2004 10:36:37 AM EDT
What is the normal expected life on the gas rings?  

Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It really depends on cleaning and proper lubrication. Some will last longer than others.

Here is the test that will tell you if they need replacing short of a short stroking problem.

Take the bolt out of the carrier. Place the bolt back in the carrier less the cam pin and firing pin. Hold the carrier with the bolt facing down. If the bolt slides out of the carrier under its own weight, the rings need replacing. Replacing the gas rings does change your zeros a bit so that if you do it all the time, your POI will shift. Make sure you keep the rings lubed with a good oil or CLP, this will greatly extend the life of the rings.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The other test that I have usually used is to put the bolt in its extended position in the carrier and place it on a table. If the carrier drops on the bolt under its own weight, I replace the rings.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Very good then.  I though I was still OK but with just shy of 2000 round through my service rifle I compete with I thought I should ask.  On any of the other ones I wouldnt even worry about it until something went wrong at the range, but with this one I don't want to find out during a match!  

Thanks!

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top