Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2003 3:16:20 PM EDT
To build a 16in lightweight AR.

I want to assemble the lower and buy a complete assembled upper.  So what kind of cost am I looking at, give me some ideas from cheapest to most expensive.  I'd really like a RRA lower, and perhaps a JP trigger.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I spent $739.

Stripped CMT (forged)lower, $80.

Bushmaster lower parts kit and A2 stock kit brought total for complete lower to $220.

Olympic FAR-15 upper cost the rest of the $739.

I am sure all kinds of people will jump in with 50 ways to do it cheaper, but that is what it cost me. I am completely satisfied.

Edited to add that the bbl is stainless For what it's worth.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
For a basic run of the mill lightweight 16in CAR, it cost me roughly $500. $400 (not including shipping) for a Model 1 Sales 16" Lightweight CAR kit and $100 for a stripped RRA lower. The JP trigger set is going to run you another $100 or so. So, on the cheap side you could get away for roughly $500 for basic. You start upgrading parts like trigger sets, handguards, grips, stocks, and the total cost quickly rises. J
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My Model 1 lightweight 16" CAR rifle was $417  including shipping...then I paid $20 for the transfer fee, and another $104.50 for the receiver, tax included.  Total $541.50.  

The rifle shoots fine, and it feels great.  

As Recon_Sine said, the extras can add up quick, but you can always do the upgrades one at a time later.

What are you gonna do with the rifle...hunt, home defense, etc?  I ask because I might recommend a standard weight barrel if you're doing anything where accuracy is a requirement.  I don't know for a fact that my lightweight won't shoot as good as my other 16" Model 1 kit, but just looking at the barrel, I don't see how it could be as consistent.  The standard barrel gun has done sub moa with the latest handloads I tried, which I'm very happy with.  

I've kinda pimped that rifle out, and I'm sure it's over 8lbs in weight lol...which is why I got the lightweight kit afterwards.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The gun is going to be used for 3 gun, range fun, and perhaps home defense.  I have a 20 in colt HBAR but the thing is just too damn heavy so when I use it in 3 gun I get too tired and my score suffers.

Where can I get info on a Model 1 upper?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Adam can you tell me about how much those rifles each weigh?  thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top