Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2005 11:26:32 AM EDT
The Stag Arms upper order has been placed!  Soon I'll have my first AR put together!  All I'm waiting on now is the pistol purchase permit from the local police so I can order my lower (here in MN you need a pistol permit to buy a pistol-gripped rifle).  That's giving me some trouble deciding what to buy.

I was going to order a complete Stag lower with 6-position stock for $215, but now I'm wondering if I should look at getting a Rock River Arms lower with their National Match 2-stage trigger as opposed to the standard trigger that comes with the Stag lower?  The RRA lower is ~$85 more though.

I was originally planning on putting a spring kit in the Stag Arms lower, hopefully that would get the trigger down to a decent 5 lb single stage pull.  If that's doable I'd go with the Stag lower to save more money for ammo.

What say you, experienced AR shooters?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Its an individual thing, there is a chance it will do nothing for you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I think it makes it much more easier to shoot well.  I upgraded my Stag Arms lower with the RRA NM trigger when I ordered it from Eagle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I HATE single stage triggers, they just feel wierd to me afte shooting M1s, 03A3s, and 1911s for years.

A two stage will effectivly give you a trigger that is a couple pounds lighter, so if  you can shoot better with a 3 lb trigger than a 5 lb trigger, you will probably shoot better with a two-stage trigger.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
1911 is a single stage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
End use of the rifle and how much cash you have to spend should warrent a 2 stage trigger or not.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I always thought two stage triggers gave you twice as many thrusts per squeeze.....
sorry, I couldn't resist...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I use two stage triggers and they are all I use on my bench guns...I'm running Jewells set as lite as I can get them...I found myself jerking or almost "snapping" the heavier triggers on the bench guns, thus pulling shots...So for me on the bench anyway I'm more accurate with a lite trigger......
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no comparison between a RRA NM and an untuned single stage. The NM lets you have a better feel for when the trigger is going to release. With the typical long single stage you bump and grind along trying to keep the sights aligned until the thing goes off.

Upgrades are rarely ever regretted.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't post much here, mostly just lurk and if I have a question I ask the more experienced for advice. From reading and researching here I chose the RRA Varmint for my first AR and could not be happier with my choice. It has the trigger you speak of and I like it alot and think it helps my shooting in certain situations. When I'm just punching paper and shooting strictly for accuracy I think it helps.  On the other hand, when I'm pursuing my favorite critter, (coyotes) I'm not sure it makes much difference. Most of my shots on coyotes are running shots and I don't really think, in the heat of the battle, so to speak , it makes much difference. I don't want to go as far as to say I'm just throwing lead at a running yote but I just don't give much thought to trigger pull. I just lead the yote accordingly and fire away. Personally I don't see a reason not to get the two stage trigger but I'm cetainly no expert.  Good luck with your new weapon and I hope whatever you get you enjoy it as much as I have mine........Dan
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is no comparison between a RRA NM and an untuned single stage. The NM lets you have a better feel for when the trigger is going to release. With the typical long single stage you bump and grind along trying to keep the sights aligned until the thing goes off.

Upgrades are rarely ever regretted.

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm, this gives me a lot to think about.  $85 extra to add an RRA NM trigger to the Stag upper isn't bad at all, and it does sound like a good investment.  However, I was just reading another thread about good triggers for SHTF situations, and the 2-stage seems to be frowned upon by many because of fears it could fail more easily than a single-stage.  I most definitely will be relying on this rifle in a SHTF situation.

Do the spring kits sold at Brownell's (by Yellow Tavern) create a decent single-stage trigger?  All I've ever shot are single-stage triggers set at 4-5 lbs, and I've had good results using those.  Can the Yellow Tavern kit reduce the Stag's pull to 4-5 lbs?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
“Don’t bring a two stagged trigger to a gun fight”
Its good for accuracy bad for a SHTF situation
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hmmm, this gives me a lot to think about.  $85 extra to add an RRA NM trigger to the Stag upper isn't bad at all, and it does sound like a good investment.  However, I was just reading another thread about good triggers for SHTF situations, and the 2-stage seems to be frowned upon by many because of fears it could fail more easily than a single-stage.  I most definitely will be relying on this rifle in a SHTF situation.

Do the spring kits sold at Brownell's (by Yellow Tavern) create a decent single-stage trigger?  All I've ever shot are single-stage triggers set at 4-5 lbs, and I've had good results using those.  Can the Yellow Tavern kit reduce the Stag's pull to 4-5 lbs?

Then get a Rock River two stage.  They have no adjustments to fail, back out, change, or whatever.  Mine has just over 4500 rounds of flawless operation with ALL kinds of ammo.  I would bet my life on that trigger working.  And that trigger doesn't get babied.  I wipe it down once in a while, and that's it.

Just FYI, two stage triggers have been handling the shit hitting the fan since 1898 in almost every military rifle since the Mauser k98.  The M1 and the M14 came with nothing but two stage triggers, and no one can question their reliability.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah, those awful triggers in the M1 and M14 are constantly going tits-up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want a nice cheap and realible trigger for just shooting paper. Try this find a hammer then cut of the hook of the back take of most of the hook up to almost the shank of the hammer (like the low mast hammers JP sells for like $45 bucks ouch. Then buy you some of the JP yellow spring kit from Brownells for 10 bucks. I built one of these set ups in my Dissy gun and it is very nice . If you dont like this set up U are out a few bucks . But U will like it
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
1911 is a single stage.

A properly set up 1911 should have noticable (but smooth) take up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:56:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I prefer single stage triggers as well. I haven't seen any durable duty-quality single stage triggers with lighter trigger pulls yet. The speed hammer and lighter spring are not viable options due to possible light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then get a Rock River two stage.  They have no adjustments to fail, back out, change, or whatever.  Mine has just over 4500 rounds of flawless operation with ALL kinds of ammo.  I would bet my life on that trigger working.  And that trigger doesn't get babied.  I wipe it down once in a while, and that's it.

Just FYI, two stage triggers have been handling the shit hitting the fan since 1898 in almost every military rifle since the Mauser k98.  The M1 and the M14 came with nothing but two stage triggers, and no one can question their reliability.

What he said..... lol

Best of both worlds....  two stage but NO ADJUSTMENTS to slip or wear out.  The only thing I might add would be to buy it from John Holliger at White Oak Precision (scroll down the page to "Triggers".  He sells a pre-tuned RRA 2 stage for only $115, or will tune yours for only $30 if you already own it.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#20]
The problem with 2-stage triggers for me is that I tend to anticipate firing with the 2nd stage. If it were a really light single stage, I would be "surprised" when the hammer releases. This causes almost no jerking whatsoever. Out of pure random weirdness, my Vepr's Tapco G2 yields a 1.25-1.5 lb trigger pull (single stage). It surprises me when the hammer releases, 100% of the time. You put the trigger finger on the trigger and squeeze.... CLICK. I thought about safety issues and even slammed the Vepr's butt on the ground a few times to see if it'd jar loose or something. So far so good.

It's almost the same problem with Glock triggers. Most people anticipate the shot/recoil and jerk the trigger at the "2nd stage". There are 2 distinct "stages" that you can feel with the Glock. You could use the NY1 olive trigger spring, but it'd just be a very LONG single stage pull.

My ARs have the standard LPK FCG and its a 7-8 lb pull, absolutely horrible feel but it works fine. A 2-3 lb single-stage duty/SHTF FCG is probably what I would need. Leave the set-screws and adjustable crap for the bench shooters and match shooters. I tried the JP spring kit but I do not want to sacrifice hammer force just for better trigger pull.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#21]
i just got a lyman digital trigger pull gauge.  my RRA 2 stage came in at 5 lb 9oz average of 10 pulls.  i myself like the 2 stage better.  i also got the JP springs and Yellow tavern springs and im going to do some trigger pull tests on them for comparison.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1911 is a single stage.

A properly set up 1911 should have noticable (but smooth) take up.

+1

roooollllllll trigger!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Let's tell that to General Patton, he actually liked the M1 Garand.
The M14 didn't suck either.
Those and a lot like them have been to more gun fights than I have.
Two stage triggers are fine for wars and "shtf" what evers.

I have a Jewel in a CMP and it is very very nice. I would have no qualms about it.

Bill
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top