Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 10:27:08 AM EDT
I have been seriously thinking about building a AR pistol but would like to know a couple things.

How is the recoil?
Are they fire breathing dragons?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never fired an AR pistol, but I have fired a 6.5" rifle, and I did shoot it like a pistol. Recoil is very 9mm like. It is a flame breathing monster. The guy behind the gun doesnt notice, but to everyone around the weapon, or God forbid in front of it it's essentially a DD without the tax stamp. A KFH might help, but this is basically a plinking weapon with no serious purpose and requires quality hearing protection. I was outdoors, I wouldn't want to try it inside. I have seen 7.5s fired indoors. Its quite a sight and sound, I assure you!

Basically, in daylight I have seen M193 make a 4 foot long flame. It would be nice to try it without the Vortex and at night.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've never fired an AR pistol, but I have fired a 6.5" rifle, and I did shoot it like a pistol. Recoil is very 9mm like. It is a flame breathing monster. The guy behind the gun doesnt notice, but to everyone around the weapon, or God forbid in front of it it's essentially a DD without the tax stamp. A KFH might help, but this is basically a plinking weapon with no serious purpose and requires quality hearing protection. I was outdoors, I wouldn't want to try it inside. I have seen 7.5s fired indoors. Its quite a sight and sound, I assure you!

Basically, in daylight I have seen M193 make a 4 foot long flame. It would be nice to try it without the Vortex and at night.

Given that the shorter barrel's ARs excel in tight quarters, I supposes any nightvision, be it natural or supplimented with night vision optics, is essentially useless with these weapons.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Nightvision!!!!!!!!!

Thats a joke, right

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I put a Krinkov Flash Hider on my 7.5" pistol and it has almost no flash, very little recoil, and is much quieter than my 16".

YMMV,
MadDog
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Recoil is not much at all, really no more than from a full sized rifle.
Muzzle blast is a bit more but since I always wear muffs and plugs, something I always do, I cannot say how "loud" it is.
Flash is almost totally eliminated with either the Vortex or the Phantom that I have tried.  Even in early morning relatively low light shooting I have not seen any muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Nightvision!!!!!!!!!

Thats a joke, right

Not a joke, but a rhetorical question/statement, given how I asked it.  I guess the point was that nightvision are not a possiblity with an AR, especially in the shorter length barreled uppers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nightvision!!!!!!!!!

Thats a joke, right

Not a joke, but a rhetorical question/statement, given how I asked it.  I guess the point was that nightvision are not a possiblity with an AR, especially in the shorter length barreled uppers.

Barrels this short will affect all of your senses and give you a headache.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nightvision!!!!!!!!!

Thats a joke, right

Barrels this short will affect all of your senses and give you a headache.

There we have it.  Can't own an SBR in my state/county to experience the sensory overload, and an AR pistol doesn't see to do it for me (b/c I know I'd end up throwing one of my spare complete lowers on it and become a Felon).  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Recoil is not much at all, really no more than from a full sized rifle.
Muzzle blast is a bit more but since I always wear muffs and plugs, something I always do, I cannot say how "loud" it is.
Flash is almost totally eliminated with either the Vortex or the Phantom that I have tried.  Even in early morning relatively low light shooting I have not seen any muzzle flash.

My thoughts as well except for the loud part. This thing is loud. Everytime I shoot mine I have an audiance; those shooting on the other lanes and the folks outside that were on the other side of the store.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#10]
C_F,

Install a Noveski Krinkov Flash Hider and you will draw less of a crowd than a 16" AR.  Your Pistol will have less flash and less noise than you ever immagined possible.

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
MadDogDan- The Krink is on my list of Things-To-Check-Out. For now the Vortex kills the flash and the noise doesn't bother me. Kind of usefull at times to be honest.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Less of a flash......where's the fun in that.  Reminds me of the words of the great Jesse Ventura "You're all a bunch of slack jawed f.........."  Not very much recoil on the AR Pistol, in fact, no problem doing head shots at 50' with one hand.  As for the flash, baby if you don't like the fireworks, get  a .22
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top