Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/28/2005 11:00:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 11:22:58 AM EDT by GRH2]
On my Bushmaster I have had to adjust my rear sight to the first long index line (fifteen clicks) to the left of center. This is after they are suppose to be laser boresighting their rifles.

How far to the left or right of center is your Busmaster rear sight adjusted to?

Thanks for any answers

ADDENDUM:
Thanks for the replies. I talked to Bushmaster and this puppy is going back for proper "indexing". I can see 1-5 clicks as OK, but fifteen clicks is just not right. My Colt only needs 2 clicks to be dead center.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:04:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 11:46:07 AM EDT by Zack3g]
Had to bring mine a considerable amount to the left to get it on target. The eotech dial is almost maxed.

Edit: I'm not an expert, but I think my barrel is overtightened or something. I've also got a minor cant in the front sight. So far I've been able to adjust the sights for it and it's really a non-issue, but eventually I'd like to get it taken care of.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:08:53 AM EDT
Funny... my LE6920 shoots literally dead center when I have it clicked in at center.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:35:25 AM EDT
I had to adjust my Bushy A2 several clicks left of center.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:41:04 AM EDT
3 clicks on my A2 14.5".
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:51:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Illinigunner21:
Funny... my LE6920 shoots literally dead center when I have it clicked in at center.

So was not having to turn a dial half an inch worth that extra $400?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:23:35 PM EDT
About ten clicks right of center.....until I took the barrel off and correctly installed a new one. Now it is centered.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:54:45 PM EDT
With the stock carry handle that came on my bushy it was pretty well centered up.
When I put the ARMS #40 on it, I had to crank it to the right several clicks ???
Id like to do a side by side comparrison with the carry handle versus the ARMS 40.
Could this be something with the ARMS site?
I cant really call it a problem though, cause I can adjust for it ( its not like Im running out of windage adjustment)

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:17:15 PM EDT
on one - One click left of center
On the other two- center

GM
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:19:33 PM EDT
2 clicks left
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:23:39 PM EDT
Had to move the sight over a bit to the right - was a couple years ago, so don't remember exactly how much.

Now my Colt...ahhh...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:28:42 PM EDT
Almost to the first short-line on the right of the center-line. Brand-new Bushmaster M4A3 16" bought in January 2005.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 1:59:33 PM EDT by exnavarm]
This seems to be a problem with Bushmasters and some other Co's and gunsmiths. Before the ban ended, I took a chance and re-barrelled four (4) AR's and one other upper with Bushmaster. All but one had windage problems. Had to adjust way over (14-16 clicks) to the left. This was totally unacceptable. I had to send them back not once but twice. But, I have to give Credit to Bushmaster. They took them back and even paid for the shipping on all of them. They are all almost dead on (one or two clicks either way) and no problems.

Call them and I am sure they will help you out. They have excellent customer service.

Exnavarm
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 2:01:44 PM EDT by Progunvoter]
Bushmaster has this problem Frequently. It's been written up by others. Call BM customer service. They will be glad to reseat the barrel "correctly". They are helpful.

When you send it in for corrections be sure to include your bolt and carrier assembly. TAPE YOUR NAME on the assembly. BM can reseat the barrel and then mess up the gas tube in the process. Send it back again. You pay the shipping to them, they pay the shipping back to you.

BM should just build their guns right the FIRST TIME and save it's customers this pain in the butt. YOU REALLY SHOULD CALL AND COMPLAIN even if you do decide to live with this poor workmanship. The only way to get them to build the guns right is to make it a PAINFUL for BM to constantly be servicing their mistakes.

Too many people are will to just "live with it" instead of going to the trouble of making companies PAY for thier sloppy work.

I LIKE BM - TRULY. I don't like SLOPPY work that I have to clean up later. Send your rifle in for service or at a minimum - complain loudly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 2:39:15 PM EDT by 200-10x]
To the original poster, Good, you should send it back, and they should properly seat and index the bbl. The amount of correction you describe isn't acceptable in a new rifle.

for the others, and regarding site adjustment in general:

At what distance?
Figuring 1/2 min clicks, 1 click = 1/4 inch at 50 yards. Now I'm not saying that you can't hold that well, but.....

Perfectly calm day at the range?
You might be surprised at the drift if it's gusting. I shoot High Power, and usually have to dial something in for local conditions, even on a 100yrd "reduced course" match.

"Mechanical Zero" is not the same as "shooting zero".
Zero for offhand (standing) is different than sitting, is different than prone.

Other things that can effect your Zero:
Bent front sight post. Not all of them are manufactured so well that they stay "straight up" when turned up and down when setting "rough elevation" zero.

FFS canted. obvious result, and for this you should SEND IT BACK. I agree with a previous poster, always call so that they are motivated to improve quality assurance.

Shooting position. This varies dramatically from person to person, at times. A good test, borrow someone elses AR at the range and see if you shoot HIS to zero. Cheek weld, canted hold, etc make a difference. How big a difference? At a High Power school I attended this past summer, after working on position consistancy for an hour or so, we shot 200yd sitting WITH OUR EYES CLOSED ! Most everyone was still on target.

Lastly, unless you move your rear site around for elevation or windage, it doesn't make any difference where you start. I'll move 5-10 minutes of windage and up to 18 in elevation in an across the course match. But most shooters don't change there sights at all for normal use, once set.

Well, that wasn't really "lastly" as I just remembered something. Kind of fun, burns some ammo, but will help you really get to know your AR. It's "Boxing the sights". Aim at the same point, fire 5-10 rounds, dial in about 5 minutes right (ten clicks) fire 5-10 rounds, dial in 5 minutes up, 5-10 rounds, 5 minutes left, 5-10...... you get the idea. You SHOULD have four distinct groups, at the corners of a box. A very good way to learn your weapon. "Clicks and minutes" are all accedemic until you start "dialiing around" in the same shooting session to really know what the effect is downrange.

Regards
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:22:39 PM EDT
The windage on my Bushy is just about perfect. The elevation was way off though due to them not using the proper FSB or a taller sight post.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT
2 right for a 200 yard zero
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:32:09 AM EDT
My bushmaster 20' was 19 clicks to the lt so they replaced the barrel with a 16' at my request (for Free) now it is running at 14 clicks to the lt.

Solution???
Got a RRA upper with a wilson barrel and never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:56:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By YELLOWV:
The windage on my Bushy is just about perfect. The elevation was way off though due to them not using the proper FSB or a taller sight post.

Yep, mine too. Had them send out another front sight post. The .040".
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:34:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By colin8651:
My bushmaster 20' was 19 clicks to the lt so they replaced the barrel with a 16' at my request (for Free) now it is running at 14 clicks to the lt.

Solution???
Got a RRA upper with a wilson barrel and never looked back.

You tossed out a 20-foot barrel and replaced it with a 16 footer? No wonder it was off.
Top Top