Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 4:38:59 PM EDT
Just bought an AR-15 and would like to know how often I should clean it? When I do clean it should I use a brush every time or just patches??
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
improper frequent cleaning will mess it up.
I clean it whenever I shoot it. Boresnake everytime and a jag and patches every 1,000 rounds.
That's my frequency of cleaning but yours may vary
I can't let it sit dirty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If I put 50 rounds through mine I have to clean it. I am just that way. Of course its a lot easier to clean it after a low round count but I just can't help myself. She can never be left a dirty whore, most times even just for the night
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can see your reflection on the BCG, it's too much....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I put 50 rounds through mine I have to clean it. I am just that way. Of course its a lot easier to clean it after a low round count but I just can't help myself. She can never be left a dirty whore, most times even just for the nighthr

When you clean the barrel every time do you just run a patch with hoppe's through it or go brush and all??
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If I put 50 rounds through mine I have to clean it. I am just that way. Of course its a lot easier to clean it after a low round count but I just can't help myself. She can never be left a dirty whore, most times even just for the night

Hell, when I went to the range, I ended up putting 1 round through my 10/22, and I had to clean it when I got home.

Reasoning for the one round is when I switched guns, the line was called cold right after the first shot.  Then we decided to head out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you clean the barrel every time do you just run a patch with hoppe's through it or go brush and all??

Actually I use a boresnake on it. The bristles are very small but seem to do a great job. Hope I am not wearing out my barrel too quickly with it
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Every weapon gets cleaned after its been shot.  Brush and patches.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
No you can not over clean a gun, it is a myth. A super clean gun has less crap in it to caues wear and fresh lube to keep rust and wear down. A clean gun is a happy gun .
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:49:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I put 50 rounds through mine I have to clean it. I am just that way.

Actually, the bore is substantially fouled after one shot.  I found this out after cleaning my AR after firing only one shot.  I was shocked.  I thought I would pass two or three patches and call it good, but it was just as dirty as if I had fired 20 rounds.

The bolt group and such wasn't very fouled, however.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
If done properly...you can't overclean any firearm.

Tack
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Cleaning after a range trip is a part of the ritual.  It is quality time with my firearms, without shooting.  You get to understanding them better, when your in their guts a lot.  I look at them for wear, to see if there is anything new or unusual.  I carefully lubricate them, give them a hug and kiss and put them to bed.... I mean in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
after brake cleaner i might use 5 patches at the most! but thats just under 500rds! I hardly use a brush maybe after 2000rds
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
RaynoEleven has the proper attitude............  Cleaning your weapon after shooting it [ even one round ] is more of a SAFETY INSPECTION........than an exercise in removing dirt. By careful cleaning, you are given the opportunity to spend some quality time with your beloved rifle. All parts, at this time, will be carefully examined for damage or unusual wear marks. Hopefully, anything about to go wrong with your rifle can be caught early.......before it becomes a problem on the battlefield or Home defense situation. You never know when something might break -- even with a brand new rifle. I have read posts where a new rifle jammed.......... only to find a broken gas ring had come off and stopped the carrier.

Like it has been reported here many times before................use CARE when pushing "Anything" down your barrel. Never use Stainless Steel brushes !!! Always protect the crown of your barrel. Use an area that is well lighted.......so you are able to "catch" any small defects that are forming.

Like the military teaches --- if you shoot it......you clean it !

JF.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#14]
rayno and sniper350,

well said. thats why the army doesnt use the term "weapon cleaning", they refer to it as "weapon maintenance"
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
after every case of ammo, even if it's still clean
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cleaning after a range trip is a part of the ritual.  It is quality time with my firearms, without shooting.  You get to understanding them better, when your in their guts a lot.  I look at them for wear, to see if there is anything new or unusual.  I carefully lubricate them, give them a hug and kiss and put them to bed.... I mean in the safe.

+1  

TC

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top