Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:43:48 PM EDT
Hey all, just stocking up on supplies for the up and coming zombie invasion and was wondering what the consesous was for the amount of rounds through a new mag before you deem it reliable. I really don't know, so any ideas are appreciated. Thanx.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:48:19 PM EDT
I run it out slow fire, and rapid fire , then its fine for what I do.

I only run GI mags,with Magpul followers, never have issues.

The only bad mag I ever had for my AR had a nasty dent in it ,and smelled like an armpit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:00:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ModernDayIsraelite:
Hey all, just stocking up on supplies for the up and coming zombie invasion and was wondering what the consesous was for the amount of rounds through a new mag before you deem it reliable. I really don't know, so any ideas are appreciated. Thanx.

I wouldn't know about a "new" magazine. All the ones I have are well used and abused mil-surp ones. Most of them I've run through several hundred rounds. Contrary to what I see on here I've had the most problems with OKay of the ones I have. Least problems with early Adventure Line and Parsons Precision. I also have some Simmonds (good) and later Center industries (not quite as good). FWIW, all of my 20 round mags work 100%, its only the 30 rounders that I've ever had any misfeeds in, and only a few of those out of over a dozen have had a problem . Sample rate is small enough to be almost inconsequential, so I will pretty much still buy any good looking GI surplus mags I can find. I plan to replace the (undoubtedly original) springs and followers in the few 30 rounders which I've had any problems and hopefully that will take care of it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:05:48 PM EDT
All of my 30's have Magpul followers...the cheapest way to enhance you rifle's reliability. IMO it is an ABSOLUTE MUST!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:32:23 PM EDT
I put magpul followers in my magazines and considered them G2G.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 11:45:14 PM EDT by repub18]
You should at least push the follower up and down a few times with a ruler before relying on them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:29:42 AM EDT
magpul followers and wolff + springs
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:51:09 AM EDT
Personally - I fully load and emtpy (at the range ) a mag at least twice without any kind of issues before I will consider it good to go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:24:52 AM EDT
I had mostly mags with the finish worn off , so that was reason enough to buy DH mags, ranger plates and thier anti-tilt followers.but I know what you mean.the rounds when I pull them out by hand I can feel a big difference old v new.I have a cure for that, shoot as much and often as possible.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:19:48 AM EDT
I load and shoot new mags twice each--60 rds. through my 30's and 40 rds. through my 20's before I load'em and leave'em for range time/SHTF/etc.

I will only own quality mags purchased as NIB so I always know the mileage on them. For me, this eliminates the need for different/stronger springs, hopped-up followers, and the like. Most used GI mags show their mileage, and quality new mags are cheap and easy to find now anyway.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:41:06 AM EDT
Mags seldom fail to function fully loaded, with the first few rounds. Usually the problem is in the last few rounds. Load a new mag with only 5 rounds, and test like that for about 20 rounds, shooting 5 until the slide locks back. If that works, load it up and try a full 30. If this works, it is good to go.
Top Top