Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/30/2012 5:50:36 PM EDT
It seems as if most of the ranges convenient to me in the DFW area don't allow any FMJ rifle ammo to be used, so I'm always looking for good prices on HP or SP stuff.  Just wondered if this FMJ ban is the norm in other areas?  Maybe more likely in more urban areas?
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Local indoor range won't allow FMJ from rifles, but the near local outdoor does. I don't live in Texas though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Down here in SA, there are no bans on type... at least not where I go. Suburban ranges.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It seems as if most of the ranges convenient to me in the DFW area don't allow any FMJ rifle ammo to be used, so I'm always looking for good prices on HP or SP stuff.  Just wondered if this FMJ ban is the norm in other areas?  Maybe more likely in more urban areas?

First I've heard of that personally.

I'm guessing it's due to concerns of damage to the back stop? I so I would doubt JHP really makes any significant difference compared to FMJ.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The  indoor range I go to allows FMJ rounds to be fired. Only thing that we cannot fire are green penetrator rounds and anything steel cased.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The  indoor range I go to allows FMJ rounds to be fired. Only thing that we cannot fire are green penetrator rounds and anything steel cased.

^This. You should ask for clarification. Ordinary fmj should be fine, it's steel-core penetrators, or copper-washed steel jacket rounds that almost all indoor ranges won't allow. Destroys their backstops. But plain fmj, like M193, shouldn't be a problem. If it passes the magnet test it should be fine.

Link Posted: 5/30/2012 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The ranges in wichita falls allow FMJ ammo. No problems here.

Lilkicker
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 4:50:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) public ranges allow FMJ and steel cased ammo, no problem here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This. You should ask for clarification. Ordinary fmj should be fine, it's steel-core penetrators, or copper-washed steel jacket rounds that almost all indoor ranges won't allow. Destroys their backstops. But plain fmj, like M193, shouldn't be a problem. If it passes the magnet test it should be fine.

I typically do not buy my ammo at the gun range so they ask to show the magazines I have. I shoot AE223, LC XM193 or PMC X-TAC M193.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Same here, no steel core but fmj is fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Local dummies here won't let you shoot steel cased ammo because "It's got a steel bullet!!OMG!!!"  When it's actually just a mild steel jacket but will let you shoot M855 into their backstop all day
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Full Metal Jacket  banned at a range thats absurd.   Regular fmj ammo is not a penetrator round.
What moron came up with that rule. Rifle or gun ranges should be able to handle any ammunition fired other then tracers or incendery or some big stuff like 50 cal. If not maybe it shouldn't be a range.
Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been to 3 outdoor ranges in my area.  All 3 allow FMJ, but have rules about shooting certain steel targets with it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#15]
As another DFW resident, i don't know of a single indoor or outdoor range that permits the use of FMJ.  Many are starting to not allow steel case ammo either.  I've gone round and round with a few ranges in the area about this, finally just said, "F' it, i'll take my money elsewhere."
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy crap!!!  In DFW ?  Really?  I have not heard of an,outdoor range south,se, sw of Houston that bans FMJ, steel core or not, steel cased or brass.  Curiously, the only thing the shorter ranges ban (those less than 600yds) is 50bmg, whuch is understandble.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Everyday there seems tobe more & more stupid rules and laws being enacted in this great country by moron gun control people,and fear mongers that have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
It also amazes me in texas there would be a rule that makes no sense.
People in Texas love guns .. I am about to fly to dfw find this range bring my M4 and a 30rd mag of xm193 fmj. I bet they wouldnt even know i was shooting it.  Steel cased ammo now thats just down right dangerous compared to brass casings. lol yeah right!
Whats the name and phone number for this range . I would like to call them and hear the reason.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#18]
FMJ is banned at Alpine. From what I understand, they are concerned with rounds hitting the bulkheads over the range and the jackets separating and ending up past the backstop on the shotgun ranges. Seems a bit 'outlandish' to me....but I don't own the place.

Alpine is pretty close to my house, about 15 minutes, so I generally go there if I'm wanting to work on loads at 100 yds.

TacPro is an hour & 45 minutes from me...but you can shoot everything except incindiary rounds....out to 1000 yds.

Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:15:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Indoor range allows jacketed,but no penetrators .So, no 855,and any steal-case you might lose one.  They take it in back,and cut it looking for the steel spike.  They have a good amount of previously checked ammo stuck on a magnet,and a lot of times they can find another example of that particular brand and not even have to cut it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Indoor range allows jacketed,but no penetrators .So, no 855,and any steal-case you might lose one.  They take it in back,and cut it looking for the steel spike.  They have a good amount of previously checked ammo stuck on a magnet,and a lot of times they can find another example of that particular brand and not even have to cut it.

Same for me.  193 okay, 855 no way.  Shooting steel so I understand.  Honor system.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#21]
The rules seem to be pretty straight forward here in Florida. Outdoor ranges usually anything goes, indoor ranges no bi-metal ammo.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#22]

My club, The Haltom City Rifle and Pistol Club allows FMJ ammo. No incendiary or AP is allowed.
We are a private club- not a public range.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I would guess most of these ranges sell the brass and if there is any thing but brass in the barrel their price takes a hit.
To be fair to the ranges there are too many people that will ignore rules that they don’t like so it probably is a lot easier to just ban FMJ.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Indoor range only allows FMJ only, does not want lead in the air.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would guess most of these ranges sell the brass and if there is any thing but brass in the barrel their price takes a hit.
To be fair to the ranges there are too many people that will ignore rules that they don’t like so it probably is a lot easier to just ban FMJ.

What does the brass have to do with FMJ bullets?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing, steel cases were also brought up.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#27]

At my range shooters pick up their own brass if they want it. If someone leaves brass on the range and someone wants it they just pick it up. .22 brass and brass that noone wants, like berdan primed surplus gets swept up and sold as scrap. The money goes into the club's bank acct.
Steel "brass" is thrown away.
Occasionally some people will pick up the lead that gets built up under the steel plates, but we don't allow mining of the berms for lead.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
The outdoor range near Austin at which I typically shoot officially restricts the use of FMJ rifle bullets, but I've never had them ask to see what I brought, so I suspect at least some people probably shoot them.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As another DFW resident, i don't know of a single indoor or outdoor range that permits the use of FMJ.  Many are starting to not allow steel case ammo either.  I've gone round and round with a few ranges in the area about this, finally just said, "F' it, i'll take my money elsewhere."

I'm in DFW also. I don't know of any remaining indoor ranges that allow FMJ. The only outdoor ranges which still allow it are private clubs. Attractive rifle shooting options here in the metro are becoming extremely limited and is it's only going to get worse. Many of the private ranges are in places where they are being built-up around. I suspect it's only a matter of time before they are forced out by zoning changes or high property taxes.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in DFW also. I don't know of any remaining indoor ranges that allow FMJ. The only outdoor ranges which still allow it are private clubs. Attractive rifle shooting options here in the metro are becoming extremely limited and is it's only going to get worse. Many of the private ranges are in places where they are being built-up around. I suspect it's only a matter of time before they are forced out by zoning changes or high property taxes.

Elm fork won't let you shoot fmj on the 100yd range but it's OK on the 50yd range.  I don't get that.  

And when we shoot rifle matches fmj is used on the pistol bays.  Which leads me to believe the 100 yd range ban is a fudd rule to keep ebr's off the 100yd range.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elm fork won't let you shoot fmj on the 100yd range but it's OK on the 50yd range.  I don't get that.  

And when we shoot rifle matches fmj is used on the pistol bays.  Which leads me to believe the 100 yd range ban is a fudd rule to keep ebr's off the 100yd range.  

The reasons I have been given at a few public ranges is that they believe FMJ bullets are more prone to ricochet.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Indoor range only allows FMJ only, does not want lead in the air.

That may explain why the new indoor range in Richmond won't allow HPs. However, they didn't specify fully-jacketed bullets, so there is exposed lead at the back of the bullets. Plus you can shoot lead .22 or lead pistol bullets. So I guess I still haven't figured this rule out. Why don't I ask them? Well, you know, it's like asking directions from some twit you don't know, or talking to some jerkwad 'dealer' at a gunshow. You just know that you're going to get a line of bullshit, so why bother? And since they don't want to talk to you any more than you want to talk to them, everybody's happy. :)
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The reasons I have been given at a few public ranges is that they believe FMJ bullets are more prone to ricochet.

Maybe TSRA can help with this?  I think its just a sad day in TEXS if FMJ is being limited like that.  It could be that your ranges in DFW  are now surrounded by residential areas too.  I know of at least 4 ranges S, SE, and SW of Houston that don't have any restrictions on FMJ, steel penetrator.  They don't care what rifle bullet or caliber is used s long as it isn't 50BMG (because 50BMG will wreck the berms.)   BUT a reason may be that all of them are backed by Federal or state reserve lands or wildlife sanctuaries and there's hardly any residential around.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top