Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2007 5:32:24 PM EDT
  I find my self some times not using the butt stock against my shoulder just laying my cheek on it and shooting.
It wasn't till I picked up my AR pistol and shot it that I seen just how well I can cheek it and shoot as well as my carbines. Not the same distance but in close quarters just as well.

Does this make since to any one else?

Gator
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert...but that sounds like a really bad idea. Sounds like a good way to crack your eye socket. When you don't have the stock secured in your shoulder...the rifle is free to fly back as much as it wants without the weight of your body behind it. The 5.56 doesn't have much recoil...but still...don't know if I'd put my peepers or face in jeopardy like that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Not me, the stock goes against my shoulder.

I can understand doing it with the pistol though.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The more points of contact you have with the rifle the more stable it will be and the more accurate you will be.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Not much there to hurt your face. In the Army we had to shoot it on our nose.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I always use a cheek weld, but often times find myself shooting irons with both eyes open. Shooting my KISS HD carbine I can easily make soda cans dance at 50 or so meters using this method.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Not putting the buttstock up to your shoulder?  Sounds absolutely retarded.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
Not much there to hurt your face. In the Army we had to shoot it on our nose.

It was so embedded in my head that I still shoot that way.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Nose to CH...feels wierd any other way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I would think the only time you would want to shoot "free recoil" as it's called in BR shooting is off the bag on a rest.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:

I was also taught that in the army... but it is imposible to do with a magnified optic on a flat top.  I use my AR's primarily for hunting these days, and that method does not work.  For me, at least.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
stock on shoulder.  thats what it is there for.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Nose to CH...feels weird any other way.

I was also taught that in the army... but it is imposable to do with a magnified optic on a flat top.  I use my AR's primarily for hunting these days, and that method does not work.  For me, at least.

I have a preban Colt with a 1"x24" ss barrel and I shoot it with my forearm under it with the butt stock against my upper arm with my cheek lying on top of stock with my left arm under the right for height. Kind of like a 90 degree.

The 24" AR has more kick than the 6.5" barrel does.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was being coached, my mentor would always tell me "one good shot is better than 5 bad ones, stay on your rifle through the shot". So I learned to maintain stance and hold through the entire shot, that said once you have developed solid fundamental skills it is a good idea to practice and learn to shoot in awkward positions as it may be all you get.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was also taught that in the army... but it is imposible to do with a magnified optic on a flat top.  I use my AR's primarily for hunting these days, and that method does not work.  For me, at least.

No it's not.  You just need the right mounts.  There are a couple differen one's that would work, but the Larue is the best.  In case you're interested.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No it's not.  You just need the right mounts.  There are a couple differen one's that would work, but the Larue is the best.  In case you're interested.

As far as holding the rifle.  I just hold mine 90 degrees tilted above my head and jerk the trigger as fast as I can.  Like I'm firing over a wall.  Then I don't have to touch my face at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not impossible if you use the right scope mount....

LaRue SPR-E

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top