BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/8/2006 1:12:01 PM EDT
Some of you here know me as an AK receiver supplier, but I'm and AR guy at heart.

Since we could really make the old school 20 round waffle mags, I think we need to see what kind of numbers we are really talking about.

If the average guy has 1-2 retro AR's, how many mags would he need/want?
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Can someone post a pic of what they look like first?
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I like at least 10 mags per firearm, but currently, I have 26 mags for my AR, and I would like more.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Count me in for a few.  I've got some real ones but I don't like to get them dirty.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on price and how they look/are made, I'll probably want 4-6. Maybe more depending on what I said. I have six 20 and two 30 round magazines right now and I can always use more, especially cool ones like a waffle mag (if it looks original). I will DEFINATELY get some though because I LOVE waffle mags and I dont wanna spend over $100 on a 20 round mag (maybe a Beta C but not a 20 rounder). But yeah, is this a sure thing that's gonna happen or is this gonna be like Colt-653's lowers? Or Stag's slabsides...
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you planing Alumunum or steel bodies?
Currently I roll my own.
But you can count me in for 2-7 mags.
Price and quality will determine how many I buy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be interested in a few.

Danny
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I would want only 2 as I have 2 originals, if the price is reasonable.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/8/2006 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are you planing Alumunum or steel bodies?
Currently I roll my own.
But you can count me in for 2-7 mags.
Price and quality will determine how many I buy.

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be down for a few.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there any idea on price or a timeframe? Or is this in the early idea stages?
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
Depending on price and how they look/are made, I'll probably want 4-6. Maybe more depending on what I said. I have six 20 and two 30 round magazines right now and I can always use more, especially cool ones like a waffle mag (if it looks original). I will DEFINATELY get some though because I LOVE waffle mags and I dont wanna spend over $100 on a 20 round mag (maybe a Beta C but not a 20 rounder). But yeah, is this a sure thing that's gonna happen or is this gonna be like Colt-653's lowers? Or Stag's slabsides...

I'm not promising anything.

This is a fishing expedition to see if it's a viable product. The tool-up for this would be in the $30,000-$60,000 range, and we ain't made of gold.

We have an excellent stamping house we're working with, and they could make these no problem. But, if it's 20 guys that want 50-100 mags, it isn't going to happen.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I think if you put this in the AR Discussions board as well, you'll get more interest. Yes this is a retro product and this is the retro board but I doubt as many people surf this board as the AR Discussions one. Just a thought.

ETA: But yeah, like I said, if these were reasonably priced and made to the old specs or at least close to them, I'd be in for 5-7 mags. Actually, probably up to 10 or more depending on price and how long they're around. Is pricing going to be based on how many people are interested or just a set price?
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
If you make 20-rd. magazines with "aluminum-bodies" and correct "waffle-pattern" and have the same outward appearance of the originals.....I would be in for 20-30 but costs would have to be down around the "present new-magazine" costs at todays prices.

If they don't look like the originals....or if they are made of steel.......or the costs are up there........count me out. At that point I would stick with the 1-3 originals I can locate for "display-only".

Regards, RichardS.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you make 20-rd. magazines with "aluminum-bodies" and correct "waffle-pattern" and have the same outward appearance of the originals.....I would be in for 20-30 but costs would have to be down around the "present new-magazine" costs at todays prices.

If they don't look like the originals....or if they are made of steel.......or the costs are up there........count me out. At that point I would stick with the 1-3 originals I can locate for "display-only".

Regards, RichardS.
[email protected]

Why do you want them to be made of aluminum??? The originals are made of steel (stainless steel, I'm told).  They are certainly not aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Same here about price. I would like to have 5-10 to go with my retros.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I will take 5 as a minimum, probably more like 10 if the numbers are right.

Thanks,
D.
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I would be in for 5!

Link Posted: 7/8/2006 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in

About 3 for first production run, maybe more if they are good
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I would take a couple depending on the price.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#21]
10 and it depends on price. Make them 20 rounders and block some for the other ban states. You'll sell out fast. Now if you can get armalite to sell them for you with the armalite roll marks.....
Good luck
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#22]
+1
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Between 2-10, depending on price.

Quoted:
Currently I roll my own.

I'd like to see your waffle mags, do you have any photos?
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Between 2-10, depending on price.

Quoted:
Currently I roll my own.

I'd like to see your waffle mags, do you have any photos?

I made a 3 piece mandrel to make a waffle style mags.
Using this tool I can modify 20 rd colt mags to a waffle style.

Link Posted: 7/9/2006 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I want some original AR-10 waffle mags for my DPMS that hold 20 rounds.  That would be retro, and be a functional improvement over the 19 round factory mags.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#26]
As nice as your AK receivers are I wish you could make us an A1 retro lower!!!   Ok,Ok just dreaming!!!

Link Posted: 7/9/2006 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I would be interested in some. How many depends on cost.
Pat
0-1-25
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I was planning on an ar15 so count me in for 2+ if the price is right
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#30]
height=8
Quoted:
As nice as your AK receivers are I wish you could make us an A1 retro lower!!!   Ok,Ok just dreaming!!!

I'm actually looking at doing that project. Of course, I would have to make a couple for myself first.have
As far as the mags are concerned, it would be later this year/early next year at the earliest if we decide to take it on.

I'm not trying to jerk you guys around, but rather use you as a sounding board for new products ideas.
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I would be interested in a few
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I thought it said waffle house
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Waffle mags and A1 lowers would be a very good idea $$ wise.  I'd love both.
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Waffle mags and A1 lowers would be a very good idea $$ wise.  I'd love both.

+1. EVERYONE wants A1 lowers. And apparently alot of people want waffle mags too.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm actually looking at doing that project. Of course, I would have to make a couple for myself first.

I do have a PWA A1 lower I can use as a sample.

As far as the mags are concerned, it would be later this year/early next year at the earliest if we decide to take it on.

I'm not trying to jerk you guys around, but rather use you as a sounding board for new products ideas.

Mike, I am an NDS receiver user...and I want some waffle mags...

and a true A1 lower. (It's actually why I started the 'we need a retro forum' thread...in hopes that we'd get all the retro nuts together.

Seriously, forged, A1 spec....hardcoat gray....I'm there. Not to change the topic.  Please, please. Oh, put the mfg, city, state, model, caliber at the legal text size, and out of the way for those who want to engrave a 'custom' text or logo.  Okay, my first hijack, sorry, enthusiasm got the best of me ;)
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#36]
If the price was right, i would be on it like a hobo on a hot dog.
Link Posted: 7/28/2006 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Any news on these?
Link Posted: 7/29/2006 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#38]
No offense boys and girls, but if you think ANYONE is going to be able to produce new waffle mags for $10-15 a pop you are just plain silly.  The current M-16 mags are in that price range because of the HUGE economies of scale involved.  

I would expect waffles to be more in the $30-40 range if they get produced at all. Just looking at the $30k-$60k tooling costs- they would have to sell 1k-2k just to pay off that at $30 a mag, not to mention other expenses.

Not trying to put a damper on this, but at the scales and prices people are talking about I seriously doubt this is going to happen.

Link Posted: 7/29/2006 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
No offense boys and girls, but if you think ANYONE is going to be able to produce new waffle mags for $10-15 a pop you are just plain silly.  The current M-16 mags are in that price range because of the HUGE economies of scale involved.  

I would expect waffles to be more in the $30-40 range if they get produced at all. Just looking at the $30k-$60k tooling costs- they would have to sell 1k-2k just to pay off that at $30 a mag, not to mention other expenses.

Not trying to put a damper on this, but at the scales and prices people are talking about I seriously doubt this is going to happen.

Good, now lets get back to the receivers, and when are you going to start putting out?...

I have a local guy that has a line of receivers with his business name on them, ( No Im not going to say who it is, but if you were around here a while back you prob got to see the shit storm)..Anyway I have been harping on him to do a run of XM177 type lowers... I went to his shop yesterday, and he show'd me a box of 6 that he has started... There are guys out there listening and watching...Just going to be a matter of time now. I just hope when he gets done they look alright.
Link Posted: 7/29/2006 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good, now lets get back to the receivers, and when are you going to start putting out?...

I have a local guy that has a line of receivers with his business name on them, ( No Im not going to say who it is, but if you were around here a while back you prob got to see the shit storm)..Anyway I have been harping on him to do a run of XM177 type lowers... I went to his shop yesterday, and he show'd me a box of 6 that he has started... There are guys out there listening and watching...Just going to be a matter of time now. I just hope when he gets done they look alright.

oh, oh, oh, ..... I'm waiiiitiing...., I hope, I hope, I hope. I now have at LEAST two kits waitng for a grey A1 lower
Link Posted: 7/29/2006 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#41]
If I had an early-ish AR15, and were inclined to get something unique for it, a waffle-mag would be the thing to get...perhaps even enough to complete an "authentic" Alice setup (say, 10+ mags)

And I wouldn't be balking at a price tag of say, twice to twice-and-a-half what new mags go for...since the waffles aren't intended to compete with new mags, they're intended to create an atmosphere of authenticity.

Insisting on cheap prices is, well...cheap. This ain't a cheap hobby.
Link Posted: 7/29/2006 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I want some original AR-10 waffle mags for my DPMS that hold 20 rounds.  That would be retro, and be a functional improvement over the 19 round factory mags.

HERE YA GO, BUDDY!

HERE'S ANOTHER ONE!

AND ANOTHER ONE!

I didn't say they were gonna be cheap, but bettert this than none, right?
Link Posted: 7/30/2006 3:06:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I would be in for a few
Link Posted: 7/30/2006 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Depending on price, I'd probably be in for a few since I'm doing a retro build.
Link Posted: 7/30/2006 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow Timkel -I'm impressed -that's creativity! As for the original question, I'd be in for 4-6 mags.
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone have a reasonably priced waffle mag I can purchase to use as a sample? This project is looking easier than we first thought.

Please email me

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Mike, they're still gonna look like the original, right...? Not like the one's timkel did...? I'm not saying Timkel's are bad, they're in fact very cool, but I'm just wondering.
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Mike, they're still gonna look like the original, right...? Not like the one's timkel did...? I'm not saying Timkel's are bad, they're in fact very cool, but I'm just wondering.

Who's Timkel? Do you have a link?

Anyways, we want to do a version that balances price verses authenticity. The other factor is reliability. The originals were replaced for a reason.
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who's Timkel? Do you have a link?

Anyways, we want to do a version that balances price verses authenticity. The other factor is reliability. The originals were replaced for a reason.

His pics are on the 1st page of this thread, 2nd to last post. Are the "ribs" on the mag going to be that thin or are they going to be "wider" like the originals?
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow, I'm a dork. I generally look at the whole thread before I reply.

Anyways, we want to make them look exactly like the originals. That's why I need a sample.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top