Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 9:51:37 PM EDT
How many trips to the range do you make before breaking out the maid service?  Everytime no matter how many rounds or every tenth time?  And everything in between...
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Dirty yes, dry no ...

Since some of the ranges are a couple hours away (one way), after one shoots a box or two of ammo and have five dirty uppers to clean, the day is often not long enough except to get everyone a little wet with Break Free.

Regards
John

P.S. boxes of ammo for the M16 are 1000 rounds each ;-).
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Every half case I hose it out and clean the bore. Works fine.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 10 magazine limit.

I [b]usually[/b] clean it the day afterward.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Now and then, I usually put about 500 rounds through before cleaning unless their giving me trouble. Now my heavy barrel varmint is a little different, that gets cleaned about every 20 rounds with a wet bore snake passed through after its been out between more dedicated cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually clean it no more than 2 days after I shoot it.  Recently though, I didnt clean it for about 2K rounds after the last ETH farm trip I went to.

Decided to take it apart the otherday and was like, "F this, I'm too lazy"  so I took it down the street for this dude to clean it.  I know I should do it myself, but wth, i was being lazy that day.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
They are tougher than people give them credit for. .. especially on the AK47 forums, jebus!  It's like they are made of glass and plastic over there...

It's good to keep clean and 'worked in', so you know you can grab it and shoot, worst case scenario.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#7]

during the summer in the humidity here, if i dont at least swab the bore out of my chrome moly barrel with some CLP when i get home, they will rust within 12 hours.  i have let this happen due to sheer laziness TWICE! it is such a terrible feeling when you shine a light down your bore to see the reddish spectre of iron oxide spiraling down the tube! never again will i let that happen.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I try and do the above or go no longer than a day or two at most.  Laziness does set in though!  Sometimes more than others! he he he!  I have gone a thousand rounds and a week and a half before cleaning once.  No rust but humidity was nil in the winter.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny this popped up. I just de-fouled two of my best target ARs that I had shot months ago. And a 700VS that is not mine.

Edited to add: My two best target ARs for I only have those two! [:D]

edited to add again: Outer's one-piece cleaning rods are junk!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
WoW this suprized me. I figured you guys were like me and cleaned as soon as you got home. All the fuss over what cleaner to use and all. No wonder I can clean with any thing and not have trouble. I clean my weapons the same day I shoot them. Might not lube and re assemble but I clean them. I clean my hand guns even if I only put one mag thru them, even my stainless steel ones.

Question on chrome moly steel rusting. I take it chrome lined like a Bushmaster is different? I always thought chrome bores did not rust? The Bushy is my first rifle with a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Problem is that once one is back from an all day shoot across the state and have a half dozen uppers plus various non-Colt systems ... the day is just not long enough (have pulled all nighters, however, getting too old to do this much any more ;-).

The ultrasonic cleaner does help ....

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Every 300 rounds or so.  

TS
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

during the summer in the humidity here, if i dont at least swab the bore out of my chrome moly barrel with some CLP when i get home, they will rust within 12 hours.  i have let this happen due to sheer laziness TWICE! it is such a terrible feeling when you shine a light down your bore to see the reddish spectre of iron oxide spiraling down the tube! never again will i let that happen.

-Spaceman

View Quote

Houston is pretty damn humid. I just cleaned mine after almost 3K rounds through it.  No rust.  she runs just fine!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:09:59 AM EDT
[#14]
well my range is about 10min away from here so being lazy after that long drive is not really a factor ;)

its just that im lazy in general.  i usualy wait a day or so then spend a few hours infront of the tv cleaning my baby
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Put a dirty weapon away?

After what I was taught in the Army, are you kidding me?

Hell no! Wouldn't I have to do push ups if I did?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#16]
all my babies get a hot Hoppes bubble bath before they go to bed, regardless of how many rounds fired. Put them away dirty???!!!you're kidding!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Im a pig. I clean it when ever I get off my lazy butt. witch is not very often.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to clean all my rifles to USMC armorer post-range detail specs: one clean q-tip inspection on the entire rifle.  Then, I got realistic: I shoot too often to waste time like that.  I found through experience that all I have to do is ensure that the bolt and carrier move smoothly and CLP the bolt carrier where it makes contact with the receiver, and the gun will keep itself clean as long as I use good quality ammo.  So far, this has held true: my 20" A4 is clean as a whistle because I don't shoot it often, but my M4, which goes out with me each week, is dirty.  Hell, most of you here would probably cry to see how dirty she is inside, but the beauty is that she fires true and flawlessly.  I break her down shotgun style and drop some CLP on her vitals, and she continues to perform for me.  I know, when I finally DO clean her properly, I'll probably cry a bit for some of the hard-baked carbon deposits, but I've found that with regular shooting, it can only get so dirty.

My AR's are super-reliable.

Now, if I were to put my M4 away for over a month or so, I'd clean her properly, but since I shoot weekly, it's just not a good use of time to clean them after each range detail.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't cleaned my shooting AR for a year, that's maybe 1,000 rounds for me due to winter.

I haven't cleaned my 92FS in 3 mos and I shoot that every week on average.  Must be at least 2500 rounds through that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I run a wet bore snake down the tube, then drop it in the safe.
I'll strip the bolt carrier down 2 or 3 times a year. I don't shoot as much as many of the guys here but I still have to buy 3 to 4000 rounds a year for my 2 AR's.
I clean my pistols when they look really dirty.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
If I don't clean my guns right after a range session it will never get done - that is when I am most grateful to them for providing me with such a good time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm with yuo all on this.  I have never had a failure in any of my AR's.  Filthy or shiny!  Sometimes sittin down to clean is relaxing....sometimes(often) it's sheer boredom.  I find really that as long as I keep the bolt group fairly decent all goes well.  Then again since I have never had a prob.  I think it is more for my ease of mind than anything!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I clean and inspect my weapons each time I use them regardless of how much I have shot through them.
I was taught the old rule "never let the sun set on a dirty weapon" when I was young,and it is well respected by me to this day.
I even clean,lube and inspect my weapons when they have not been used.
I guess I get that from being taught how to maintain and shoot by my uncles who are retired Army Infantry.
I even do the q-tip inspections on myself.
Its cheap investment insurance to keep the weapons clean,protected and ready to go.
Keeping my weapons clean helps each and every cleaning by allowing most all the fouling to be wiped away or removed with a tooth brush and q-tip.
It only takes me about 15 minutes max to spit shine my AR and I would not dare to put it away dirty,or any weapon for that matter.
Actually I though it was a set standard that most everyone cleaned thier weapons after firing.I guess not.
Raymond
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#24]
For me, like I said earlier, it used to be the standard, but now it's just not practical.

I've never had a problem to date, and further, I'm completely confident in my weapons' ability to work when I need them to.

[:)]

As a former Marine, I was taught the benefits and the gospel of clean weapons: I still believe it to a point, but I don't go to church as often as I used to.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got a 20" bushy with their new stainless steel barrels that they offer.
I clean it and all my other guns after every trip to the range. I make no exeptions. And with a snakebore for every calibre i own, that is an easy task.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:20:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I clean mine every shoot, range is 20 min so I have plenty of time when I get home. I flip on the tv, lay a towel on the coffee table and start scrubbing off that dirt.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Dude, don't you know that AR-15's are self cleaning?

I've never shot one until it was so filthy it wouldn't function.   I might drip a little CLP in there before a range session, unless I am about to shoot a match with it, then it will get a good cleaning.  And I do have to clean my Oly 9mm AR pretty regularly.  All you guys who bitch about the "filthy AR gas system" haven't seen anything until you break open one of these blowback ARs.

Other than that, they get cleaned when I get bored.  This also goes for all my other guns, I'd say that only 10% of them are "clean" at any given time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Generally the same day to a week later as far as cleaning the bore and wiping it down.  As far as taking the bolt out etc. Once a year-Yeah I know what's this?  All my other guns cleaned within 48 hours stipped down completely revolvers, pistols, shotguns, just not my AR 15 SP1, No reason for it just my policy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ken_mays
 All you guys who bitch about the "filthy AR gas system" haven't seen anything until you break open one of these blowback AR's.
View Quote

Yeap,my roller delay blow back cetme gets funky too.Much more fouling in the receiver than my AR gets.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
all my babies get a hot Hoppes bubble bath before they go to bed, regardless of how many rounds fired. Put them away dirty???!!!you're kidding!!!
View Quote

Agree.  After all, to me not cleaning your weapon after use is like going to the toilet and not wiping afterwards.  Take care of your weapon and it will take care of you...remember.

BR
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
After all, to me not cleaning your weapon after use is like going to the toilet and not wiping afterwards.  
View Quote

[toilet] Now that is just plain gross. [toilet]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top