Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 7:38:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 8:15:05 AM EST by AtlantaFireman]
After reading this thread and link to the HK416:
Army Times article about the HK416: I wondered how many similar malfunctions have ARCOM members had with their AR's.

In my experience, I have had two failures to feed in the last 2500 rounds. One was due to a blown primer that found its way into the barrel extension (ammo from Singapore). The second was due to damaged ammunition: case shoulder was bent (M855PD). I have never had name brand ammo, or top tier M193 or M855, cause a problem. Only once did I load ammo that was too long to chamber. I cannot remember a failure to extract in a stock rifle. I have had short stroking problems with a dissy barrel that started life as a 20", but reliability went back to 100% after opening the gas port to 7/64" (0.110" approx.).

Edited for spelling and list conditions.

A clean rifle out of the safe, up to 1000 rounds on it before cleaning. Shooting conditions: no dirt, dust, rocks, or poured concrete inside rifle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:44:37 AM EST
Usually the loose primer under the trigger, or...
My mesh-type brass catcher not positioned correctly & spitting an empty back into the port...not the guns fault.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:52:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:56:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:59:45 AM EST
Failure to feed on fiancee's carbine. i tightened up the mag catch one turn. never happened again.

failure to feed on a 6.8 SPR build. extractor was out of wack, replaced extractor problem went away.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:11:50 AM EST
Here are the failures I can think of (over the past 10 years or so).

1. Ammo-related failures from using shitty cheap ammo. Using thousands of rounds of the PD-type ammo (XM193PD), I had some FTE issues across different rifles that were undoubtedly related to inconsistent loads in the PD ammo. I've also had a squid with PD ammo. Obviously not an "AR" problem, since none of the rifles had nay failures with regular ammo.

(When I got a few FTE problems in my 10.3" SBR, I added a heavier buffer and a Crane O-ring, and have had zero problems since then. However, in retrospect, it was almost certainly because I was using the same carrpy PD ammo in my SBR.)

2. Magazine-related failures, when - to my shame - I used several USA-brand magazine.

3. I did once have a brand new rifle "sticking" (i.e. FTE) a little for the first magazine or two until the bolt carrier got a slight bit smoother. I've normally not had any "breaking in" reliability issues with most of my AR's, but I do remember it happening on this one rifle. Since then, it has been super-reliable, with zero failures.

I've never had a broken part or a serious failure in in any rifle itself - other than the one "break in" issue, that wasn't related to bad ammo or bad mags.

I'm sure there might have been the occasional hiccup once or twice every couple of thousand rounds with some of my rifles, but nothing that stands out in my mind as a problem or something I'd specifically remember. Certainly, no mechanical system is perfectly reliable - so I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying that it's impossible for my ARs to fail. Obviously, pieces can break and systems can fail - but I've been very fortunate with my ARs, and have confidence in them working smoothly over thousands or rounds.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:12:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Stickman:
However, the scope of the poll doesn't specify conditions...

Good point. Edited to add conditions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:16:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 12:42:17 PM EST by todd4417]
I voted two per 1000, all malfunctions i`ve had to date were blown primers mostly attributed to "adcom" ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:38:26 AM EST
1. Blown primer on ADCOM ammo. Jammed my rifle
2. Had some FT Fire on some SS109. Put the round back in and they fired. I chalked it up to bad primers.

That's it. Maintain your rifle, and range shooting shouldn't have many problems.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:54:20 AM EST
I have experienced 1 in 5,000 rounds
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:00:16 AM EST
I voted 0
I did have one malfunction but it was not the rifle it was the ammo, case got stuck in the chamber because it was out of spec and would not extract. I had to hammer it out with a cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:06:13 AM EST
As a civilian, you'll probably encounter few malfunctions provided you make the effort to keep your weapon clean

Under combat conditions, the odds of having issues is sure to rise

The AR15/M16 is a maintenance heavy weapon. Always has been, always will be
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:12:04 AM EST
Easily 4 or more per 1000. Though I must say this has been from experimenting with gas port size, bad magazines, break in periods, and other things... not carbon related.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:13:49 AM EST
2 or 3 per 1000 depending on ammo.

Wolf is naturally going to have a couple more malfunctions. If I shoot with a suppressor, it dirty's up quicker and the malfuncions increase.

Usually when shooting brass cased quality ammo, maybe 1 per 1000 or less. XM193 and Federal AE run perfect in pretty much everything. But the days of shooting that stuff for plinkling are gone for me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:29:47 AM EST
All Ammo related.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:30:37 AM EST
none, all were related to wolf ammo

standard USGI mags (with magpul followers) and federal or any other surplus or quality ammo and my ARs run all day and night long
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:32:31 AM EST
I think I've had one failure to chamber in the last 2000+ rounds. It was a fresh mag at the start of a run. Tap, rack, nothing. Dropped mag, went to new one and it worked fine. I think it might have been my HK mag that failed.

I rarely ever have any malfunctions with my AR. I probably only clean it every 600-800 rounds. Before I got quality mags, I had issues with feeding and reliability. After I got some Okay Industries mags, it's worked great.

BTW, I know when it's time to clean my AR, when there is an audible delay in the cycle of the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:35:57 AM EST
does this count? I forgot to add powder to one of the cases I reloaded and it didn't go off...

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:38:11 AM EST
iv hard one in 1000. a overloaded wolf 62 grain hp. it sounded noticibly louder than the rest, the case stuck in the chamber. took a cleaning rod to get it back out. nothing weapon related though, just ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:44:15 AM EST
On my personal Bushmaster M4A3, I've only had one malfunction in 5000rds, which was a failure to feed. It was easily cleared with Immediate Action.

On an USMC Colt M16A2 I used for qualification last year, with God knows how many rounds through it, I had a failure-to-extract/double-feed. Cleared through Remedial Action.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:47:46 AM EST

Myself, I have not had any malfunctions with any of my AR's. I only use quality ammo and maintain my equipment.

For the first time, I used 20 rounds of Wolf the last time at the range and didn't have any problems with the 20 rounds.

A friend of mine was shooting my AR for the first time. One round of Q3131A didn't chamber. I think it was his fault. I showed him (had shown him before) the forward assist. I just touched the forward assist and the round chambered. Fired off fine. I don't consider that a malfunction.

He didn't have any other problems.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:51:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By buck19delta:
iv hard one in 1000. a overloaded wolf 62 grain hp. it sounded noticibly louder than the rest, the case stuck in the chamber. took a cleaning rod to get it back out. nothing weapon related though, just ammo.

I had that happen awhile back with Federal/Lake city m193 the case was seemingly glued to the walls... too a cleaning rod with a jag and a mallet to get it out
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:55:56 AM EST
1 per 3500, fewer if I clean.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:00:37 PM EST
about 4, but they were with cheap monarch ammo so it really doesnt count. None with good name brand stuff.

oh and 2 short strokes on Radway green.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:02:05 PM EST
Less than one per thousand, and most were mag related
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:06:42 PM EST
Off the top of my head, failures with-in the last few years:

1) Failure to extract.
Cause: Worn extractor.
Corrective action: Replaced extractor, ops checked good.

2) Failure to load, rounds hitting ramp.
Cause: Defective magazine.
Corrective action: Appropriately mark mag as range use only.

That’s about it after years of use. I credit my success to correct preventative maintenance, correct lubrication and keeping my rifles clean, simple and stock. No adding of accessories which might induce problems, i.e. railed gas blocks ect....ect.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:18:41 PM EST
Have owned a Colt SP1 carbine, cut to XM177E2 barrel length, and class 3d in 1977. After multi thousands of rounds, about 10 years ago it started not ejecting empties. Installed a Wolff HD ectractor spring, and perfect function ever since.

The 5 ARs I've built in the last 10 years? No malfunctions yet.

Bottom line? What the hell do we need gas pistons for? The piece works quite well the way Gene Stoner and company designed it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:41:13 PM EST
mag related -tip of first round getting stuck on front wall of the mag.
Magpul followers took care of the issue.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:46:20 PM EST
I had a S&W that malfunctioned when I bought it. Other than that my Varminter has had two problems with primers getting behind the trigger. My Colt and Two RR have had none.
I have an H&K 91 and 93 that NEVER malfunction. Shot them alot in the 80's early 90's and last year.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:51:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 1:52:19 PM EST by wildthing]
One malfunction between two ARs.

This was a failure to feed from a magazine. This has not happened since. Even with the same mag being used.

I put that single malfuntion into the WTF? department.

No complaints.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:10:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 2:12:00 PM EST by RealTeacher]
With mine, in the last 4 years, I would have to say about 10-15.
My guess is that I have fired about 12,000 rounds in that time.

Back when I was a young man, and was issued an M-16 (and later an M16A-1) I would say it was A LOT more. Especially with the old M-16. I had 2 of them, and neither was very good.
The M-16A-1 would malfunction about every 6-10 mags, but I expect a lot of those problems were magazine related. We took what they gave us, and had to use them.

When you'd get a mag that was "so-so" you would often get several failures in that 20 (or 30) rounds. (which we'd only load 18 and 28 into) But when you'd replace the mag with another, the A1 ran pretty well. Never as forgiving as the M-14, but with some care, it would work.

My new ARs are quite a bit better than the Old M-16, but I can give them more care too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:53:32 PM EST
when I originally bought my SP1 back in the early 80's, I had some extraction problems then, but could not explain the cause at the time

now I have no problems with it

I also have 2 carbines, and after thousands of rounds, never had a problem with either
one
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:59:27 PM EST
I've had no malfs with my bushy m-4 14.5 in. about 3400 rds down the tube.
1 bad mag..
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:35:01 PM EST
no malfunctions
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:09:30 PM EST
When the chamber gets dirty (around 1k or so depending on the ammo) I start to get failure to eject problems -- the case gets jammed in the chamber and the bolt won't cycle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:23:10 PM EST
I may not have that many rounds through the AR platform (I'm embarrassed to admit HOW few ) but I have not had a single malfunction with any of my ARs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:28:08 PM EST
5 AR's roughly 2,000 rounds each , and not one hickup what so ever .

I hope I didn't just jinx myself .
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:20:00 PM EST
After breaking it in, my 20" A2 BM runs like a champ. I was using Wolf to break it in too. I guess thats a no-no. It also wouldnt run hollow points, it would fail to feed after each round, or just jam the bullet on the ramps. After The first few mags it feeds whatever I give it. Was worried at first, but @ 800 rounds later no probs at all.
Just got a new one waiting to complete, well see how well this one works, but with good ammo this time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:28:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2007 6:06:43 PM EST by 0699TeufelHnd]
Most the malfunctions I've experienced were due to:

Magazines not being inserted properly and

Dirty weapon.

Only a few times has it been related to a bad round or a mechanical malfunction of the weapon.

Edit: Did have one of the teeth break off the bolt, right next to the extractor, while test firing in Iraq. (Colt M4).

It failed to extract the empty shell and that's how I noticed it.

I fired it again and it extracted okay. We were on our way out the gate so had to hit the armory at the next FOB to get the bolt replaced.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:31:33 PM EST
Blown Primers lodged under the FCG

Multiple mags issues. Usually from the mag body being out of spec.

short stroking with Wolf ammo and a 11.5" Carbine
Top Top