Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 3:05:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 3:39:28 PM EST by 223semiauto]
I went shooting last week with my ar for the first time and holy shit did it get hot after 3 mags.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:12:09 PM EST
I don't stop until all my mags are empty, I bring 6 -12 loaded.
Then the rifle sits while I reload.
I repeat until I've shot all the ammo I had with me.
Rifle cools while I clean up my brass and targets and whatever else I made a mess with.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:13:55 PM EST
until the CLP ignites

heh heh heh

then i put it down

Stainless
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:16:30 PM EST
If the rifle is borrowed, until the gas tube glows bright red.

If you own it till it is slightly warm.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:52:40 PM EST
I don't worry about it till I'm done shooting. I got guns hot enough in my old career field to not worry about if they get hot or not.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:02:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:30:45 PM EST
Yes. it's true... happiness is a warm gun... but elation and sublime joy require alot more heat!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:38:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:10:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Cool down? Unless you are worried about accuracy degrading for target shooting I wouldn't worry about. I doubt the heat from semi auto fire causes any problems, well as long as you don't set it down on a tarp like I did.

I was doing some rambo moves.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:50:23 PM EST
The gun is built being intended for full-auto, unless you are worried about accuracy, your AR can take it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:12:32 PM EST
About enough time as the instructor allows to reload a few more mags before its time to hit the line again. And a usual 20min or so lunch.

Nomex flight gloves help, even in sweltering hot weather. No more blisters!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:01:31 PM EST
I hate it when the barrel melts a nylon case or something if you set the gun on it by accident.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:29:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By Kisara:

Pay heed to this sage advice. Nomex gloves help a great deal when doing serious work/shooting/training. Always have a pair with your rifle if at all possible.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:16:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By knightone:

Originally Posted By Kisara:

Pay heed to this sage advice. Nomex gloves help a great deal when doing serious work/shooting/training. Always have a pair with your rifle if at all possible.

Any place to get those for cheap? The ones I had in the Air Force are beat up and aren't worth using. I bought a cheap pair of gloves at Wally World that don't have fingertips and I find those much easier for loading ammo and cleaning my gun if I have to.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:39:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By SNorman:
I hate it when the barrel melts a nylon case or something if you set the gun on it by accident.

Or the plastic bumper of your wifes Nissan Pathfinder.

Boy did I hurt for awhile after she found out.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:51:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 11:01:10 PM EST by Kisara]

Originally Posted By GrumpyM4:

Originally Posted By SNorman:

Or the plastic bumper of your wifes Nissan Pathfinder
Chris

LOL! For me, it was a friend-of-a-friend's S-10 Blazer rear bumper trim. I kept my mouth shut...

Eaglebite- Hatch brand flight gloves are pretty inexpensive new.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:40:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:42:21 AM EST
LOL! I love it! The gloves are tactical!

It's a good idea really to have some gloves. I've come close to scortching myself enough times now...
I'm gonna have to get me some. Yea! More toys to buy!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:49:27 AM EST
Hatch operator gloves. The new style are above the wrist w/ a strap to secure them. No problems w/ heat anymore. -Justin
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:02:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By eaglebite:
Any place to get those for cheap? The ones I had in the Air Force are beat up and aren't worth using. I bought a cheap pair of gloves at Wally World that don't have fingertips and I find those much easier for loading ammo and cleaning my gun if I have to.

Everyone has them for cheap. OMB police supply, and EPS (Express Police Supply) to name a few. They only run about 20 dollars. I haven't got around to getting any yet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 11:04:34 AM EST

Hey what about some wrist length kevlar gloves,somone must make those, right?

Aimless- I always take them and just fold the cuff over (not in) , which ends up making them slightly longer than wrist length. This has always worked well for me.
Top Top