Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2003 1:47:50 PM EDT
How many loaded mags would everyone feel comfortable carrying in a SHTF scenario?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
20-30 !! [bounce]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Uncle Sam issues 7 for a basic load.  10-12 seems like a good number to me...  Anymore than 12 is probably excessive if you are planning on carrying them for any kind of distance.  Remember, water and food are going to be just as important as ammunition...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
20-30 !! [bounce]
View Quote

At least!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
12+1 is decent, basic is 6+1,  If its that Zombie attacking the house thing again, you can always load them all and put them in a box on the coffee table.

If you have a gallon of water(8 pounds), 12 mags (9pounds ?), gun and mag (9 pounds), 3 MRE's(3.5 pounds), extra boots,socks, 2 uniforms and hygiene products (15 pounds), poncho and liner, gortex and thermals (4pounds) and say 10 pounds of various shit not including a few grenades.

You have nearly 60 pounds of shit and you have a k-pot, flak vest, knife and first aid kit and maybe even chem suit and mask.  If the shit hits the fan you better have a 4 wheeler.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
4 x 3-Mag Pouches, plus 1 in the rifle = 13

If SHTF, you're much better of staying home and defending it, UNLESS you live in a big city, in which case you've totally screwed yourself before you've even begun.  The gridlock on the roads will make a Wednesday-morning commute look like light Sunday-night traffic.

If you're out looking for trouble, it's gonna find you, and chances are, you'll be dead and someone else will be enjoying your rifle and mags.

-Troy
View Quote

Agree wholeheartedly except I woulod have two mag on the gun via a mag cinch.  

I would be highly suspecious of anyone walking down the street fully armed.

20-30 is just a bit too much to haul around.  I would be hard pressed to walk a block with 900 rounds on me plus all other necessary gear.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]

20-30 is just a bit too much to haul around.  I would be hard pressed to walk a block with 900 rounds on me plus all other necessary gear.
View Quote

Yes.

Unless defending a position, w/ little mobility necessary, GdLk getting around w/ that kind of load.  In a mobile situation where that kind of load's necessary, so is FA, I'd imagine, and that's putting SHTF mildly.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
One ten rounder... so as to observe the AWB.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
20-30 !! [bounce]
View Quote
[b]

I'd like to see you run with that plus what ever else your lugging.  [lol]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I currently have 8 plus one in rifle.  Can easily changed to 14 plus one.  I have an VC-AK style pouch made for AR mags that holds 8 (it's always loaded).  I have a regular LBE set with two mag pouches that can be used if necessary.

TS
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Back Hummer up to door. Load mags until Hummer groans. Proceed.

5 things you can never have enough of:

1. Food
2. Water
3. Money
4. Medicine
5. AMMO

6. Women

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

5 things you can never have enough of:

1. Food
2. Water
3. Money
4. Medicine
5. AMMO

6. Women

View Quote

I have to take exception with number 6
I just got rid of one that was one too many.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#14]
8 in the belt pouches, 6 in the tactical vest, 2 in the rifle (mag cinch)

being in a big city, i don't see much need to carry food and water.  most likely i'll be defending a fixed position, but if i had to move there would be plenty of places to grab food along the way.  ammo might be more difficult so i'd rather have plenty of my own.  i prefer to keep other little trinkets on my person such as a pair of compact 10x binoculars, surefire 6P, multi-tool, etc.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Lets see:

1 in the rifle
1 in the ready mag
6 each in my M-14 pouches (x4) on LBE
4 on the dogs tactical vest (a low profile
 ammo runner, after all who would shoot a
 cute puppy dog?)
6 each on the wife and kid.

GRAND TOTAL 42 MAGS. This does not include my war chest on wheels with 2 spare cases of M-193 in stripper clips and bandoleers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
"SHTF".....give me a break, you're having a Walter Mitty fantasy if you think you're going to be some kind of "rambo hero' in some post apoplectic scenario  .....go back to reading SOLDIER OF FORTUNE magazine....a "SHTF" scenario is your cable going out, not loading yourself up to fight WWW3
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually, a good set up is a pistol belt with a holster for your sidearm, on that a magazine pouch for the pistol mags(2-3)and a pouch for rifle mags(2-4)a drop down is good for this. In addition to this, maybe a canteen and small first aid pouch. The belt set up will not be attached to the vest. Then put on a vest with other gear and mags(whatever makes you happy-and still move)and add(separate) a  pack for sustainment items(tent, spare foul weather gear, etc.)That way when you hump out you have most everything and leaves you with the ability to lighten up if needed and you can still have some fighting ability.

Like Shrek said--layers
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
3 x 4 + 1 = 13
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#19]
7 30 rounders

And 2 Ciener .22Lr 30 rounders. In the hopefully unlikely event of SHTF, it might be nice to use .22Lr when supply, cost, and versatility would really count.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#20]
A bunker and a loader.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Remember, every fully loaded 30 round magazine weighs 1 pound each.  12 magazines weighs at least 12 pounds (refer to my response about tactical vests).  Add a camel bak of water, a pistol, pistol mags, a days ration, some power bars, a radio of some sort, and your combat load now weighs 25 pounds. If you're smart you'll have a Kevlar helmet and body armor for when the going gets real bad since you said it was a SHTF scenario.  Now, as you fantasize about using your beloved black rifle in this scenario, practice running around in this load out.  If you've never done this before you will never have experienced such utter exhaustion before in your life.  Train hard-fight easy!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I was being humorous on my previous post. However, planning for the SHTF scenario must take into account where you live. Since I live on the coast in the southeast, my plan is to pack up my 4x4 and head for the Smokie Mountains. So all I am going to need is a basic load for side arm and rifle.

For those of you who live out in the country you may not need that much. For those of you living in a metropolis and not planning to vacate, then your basic load may need to be significantly more.

One thing a squad leader told a few decades ago is:  It is better to bring more ammo than you need than need the ammo you didn't. I have lived by this creed ever since, and it has saved my skin on several occasions.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
4 on the dogs tactical vest (a low profile
 ammo runner, after all who would shoot a
 cute puppy dog?)
quote]
thats a wonderful idea. Did you make your own vest for your dog?? Ill have to try and rig something up for my dog.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
You probably had a good squad leader TAC40, and I take it a lot of us here are either military or prior military, law enforcement, etc. Then there those who aren't. It's great to have all those magazines and other things to hump around if the mission depended on it, like say... a longe range recon patrol in Laos because you won't have an air extract available.  But if you're talking about a local emergency in your home town, you probably aren't going to need 300 rounds of ammo.  I think a mere six magazines (~180 rounds) would be fine.  If you have a vehicle than by all means load the thing up with everything you want  but if it gets stuck or breaks-which it will, be prepared to saddle up your ruck and step it off.  Those of you preparing for this sceario better start hiking with the same load, otherwise its all a pubesent 'Red Dawn' pipe dream.  Wolverines!

PS-To my friends thinking about hiking with 12 fully loaded mags, I hope you also have closed-cell foam in your LBE because if you fall in a stream or wet land (like in the south) you better be a good swimmer or be prepared to ditch your load.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 2-30 rounders

Must buy more mags
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#27]
What kind of situation are you talking about? A couple of armed guys breaking in or something different? If so im thinking with 30 rounds if i don't hit something they're not gonna want to stick around for the next 30 so problem solved. If it was TEOTWAWKI I would have to go with John Wayne...
View Quote
except...no Hummer[:|]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top