Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 6:44:17 AM EDT
to each US Marine rifleman, or US Army soldier? I realize that it probably depends on "special" circumstances and that Special Forces probably carry as many 30 rounders as possible. I am looking for an average number (just to satisfy my curiosity).
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#1]
6 or 7 depending upon the unit for Marines.  I carried 24 most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
In addition to the 6-7 loaded magazines, how much boxed ammunition would each man carry? Any means of doing magazine re-loading rapidly (like a LULA tool)?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending upon how you are operating..(mounted/foot) you may not carry any extra ammo, just leave it in your vehicle.  Your ammo is not boxed it's in bandoliers or 120rnds all on stripper clips, each bando has "speed loader" that allows you to rapidly fill a magazine.

Most I've seen don't carry bandoliers..just extra mags.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The armory issued us 7.  Most of the Marines in my platoon scammed more.  SOP for our platoon was at least 9.  Most carried 12.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#5]
How thorough do you test each magazine before trusting it to work in combat? What condition were the magazines?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Check the feed lips to see if they are bent or cracked...check for obvious defects etc.  Load'em up with 30 rounds and testfire.

I've been using my personal Colt mags for years and never had any trouble with them including several of the old "dark green" followers.

Besides if your mag is crap you'll get a new one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Some were brand new, some were worn out.  
"Testing" occured whenever we were at the range.  Got a bad mag, stomp on it and trade it into the armorer.  That way, he doesn't question whether or not it is bad, and he can't just re-issue it out to someone else who may not take the time to use all their mags and ensure they work.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother, currently deployed w/ the USMC in the sand box was issued 6 mags.  He didn't say what make they were although his reserve unit here at home has the new HKs.  When he was at Camp Lejeune he called me and said that he was issued 6 mags, his M4 and an LBV which had pockets to hold 12 mags.  His math must be better than the USMC's cause he asked me to send him 7 more mags.  I sent him 7 "Pick of the litter" Circle K's so he could have one in the gun and all 12 slots in his LBV full.  

By SSeric02: Got a bad mag, stomp on it and trade it into the armorer. That way, he doesn't question whether or not it is bad, and he can't just re-issue it out to someone else who may not take the time to use all their mags and ensure they work.

SSeric02....  Your words are encouraging.  Good on ya for making sure the man next to you doesn't get stuck w/ crummy equipment.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Just make sure before you stomp an M9 mag because it jams.....you check to ensure the mag spring is inserted the correct way.  If you insert it backwards you cause the follwoer to nose dive and jam.

Had a MSgt who stomped a new M9 mag " 'cuz it jammed" he said.  I pointed out the fact that when he had cleaned it earlier that day he had put the mag spring in backwards and it was his fault....he wasn't happy when I told him he owed $7.68 for a new mag either!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]
We got issued 7. I carry more, some dudes in my platoon think its dumb until my team leader overheard me talking about it and he chimed with "no less then 12 within arms reach" while he was in Iraq last year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just make sure before you stomp an M9 mag because it jams.....you check to ensure the mag spring is inserted the correct way.  If you insert it backwards you cause the follwoer to nose dive and jam.

Suprisingly, I personally never had a problem with M9 mags.  Although, I usually tried to make sure I had actual Beretta manufacture and kept clean whatever I did have.  I did however see one ARMORER who had a magazine that still had the little gold "Made in China" decal on it.  The spring had compressed and all the rounds were loose in the magazine. I guess someone lost a magazine and bought an el cheapo somewhere to turn in when they checked out of the unit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We got issued 7. I carry more, some dudes in my platoon think its dumb until my team leader overheard me talking about it and he chimed with "no less then 12 within arms reach" while he was in Iraq last year.

When the Philippine Army attacked the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) main camp in Mindanao in the late 90's,  a battalion which my friend later took command was one of the Army battalions involved in the assault.  Soldiers were telling me that they devised a method where there were two soldiers in one spot taking turns firing their rifles.

The one firing his rifle would receive loaded mags from the other who had to let his M16 cool down, and therefore, was loading bullets for his buddy when an empty mag is dropped.  They would switch places when the other M16 gets too hot.  This prevented the MILF soldiers from holding their ground, and eventually retreated until the Army soldiers overran the camp.  Their standard load was 180 rounds (6 30-round mags), but they brought extra mags and ammo.  Armed Forces of the Philippines begun packing their ammo in 30-round brown boxes when the RPA (Republic of the Philippines Army) ammo was renamed to BMP (Bataan Munitions Plant).  Both use US-made components.

The M14 also proved its worth when it would flush out MILF soldiers hiding behind coconut trees.  The M14 rounds simply went through the coconut trees.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Something about fighting a "MILF" sounds wrong....make love not war....  :D

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the good information
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

I haven't laughed (alone) out loud like that in a VERY long time. THANK YOU for making my day, man!

C
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It took a long time for them to realize that they can't beat the government.  The Armed Forces of the Philippines had to overrun their main camp to get them to consider talking peace with the government.  This is in the works now.  They also got scared when the US Armed Forces started conducting joint war games with the Armed Forces of the Philippines in Mindanao in 2000.

Remember, it took a General Pershing to stop a rebellion in Mindanao.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It took a long time for them to realize that they can't beat the government.  The Armed Forces of the Philippines had to overrun their main camp to get them to consider talking peace with the government.  This is in the works now.  They also got scared when the US Armed Forces started conducting joint war games with the Armed Forces of the Philippines in Mindanao in 2000.

LOL!  A "MILF" in US "slang" is... "Mother I'd Like to F#%^".  Basically a Mom (25-35 yrs old) that's "hot" and not some little 19-yr old playboy model.

So forgive me if I didn't explain what "MILF" I was referring too!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!  A "MILF" in US "slang" is... "Mother I'd Like to F#%^".  Basically a Mom (25-35 yrs old) that's "hot" and not some little 19-yr old playboy model.

So forgive me if I didn't explain what "MILF" I was referring too!  hr

No problem! And thanks!  hing
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top