Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2003 4:54:22 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I was reading about "will I go deaf" thread and was wondering if using 12 gauge instead of 5.56mm M4 profiled carbine would be safer for my ears. For outdoors, I don't mind if I have to shoot 5.56mm without hearing protection for defense, but indoors it made me think.

I'm not talking about terminal ballistics here - which would be louder? (14.5" 5.56mm vs. 18.5" 12 Gauge)

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
both will be terrible for your ears indoors (or outdoors) without ear protection.  if you have to shoot in defense of your life, i don't think it will really make a difference at that point.  a single shot of either (assuming you're behind the gun firing it) is not likely to permanently destroy your hearing, but it can't help much either...
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Being partially deaf from years in the military and having a hobby that causes things to go boom, make me a poor candidate to compare which is louder.

But, shooting my Benelli M1S90 with 18.5 bbl, is loud enough to cause a ringing above that which is already present. Shooting my DPMS 11.5" with long FLASH suppressor[for a legal 16"] and using XM-193 or Q3131A is downright painful, even when wearing those little foam ear plugs by themselves. I will never ever shoot my shorty without muffs again, unless it is an emergency situation [SHTF].
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I was upstate one time with a friends.  I had my Bushmaster AK Shorty and he had his Maverik with Magnum slugs.  My Bushy made his Shotty sound like a pop gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It is just an estimate, have never used a decibel meter[:D], but I would say that my 14.5" RRA M4gery is about 2 or 3 times as loud as my short double barrel 12 ga. The other day for curiousity sake I fired a round from my M4gery without ear plugs. I will never, ever, ever do that again unless I have no choice. It was painfully loud. [>(] I can only guess at home much louder it would have been inside.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok 12 gauge it is... [:D] Thanks for sharing.

HOW THE FXXK do soldiers put up with M4's noise then??? (yes I have tried my 14.5" Bushy with mini-Y comp and it rang till the next morning - never ever again)
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I asked my Dad about how loud were the M16's in a fire fight in Vietnam.  He said that he never noticed the noise.  The fact that his adrenaline was pumping so hard and that he had to shoot in order to survive totally dismissed the fact that the gun is extremely loud.  The interesting thing is that for a person who works around very large generators and fought consistently with firearms, doesn't have much hearing damage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
(yes I have tried my 14.5" Bushy with mini-Y comp and it rang till the next morning - never ever again)
View Quote

I had my AK-comp out to the range. I was wearing protection. I stopped after one mag. It was louder than the guys shooting sporting clays across the road. I don't remember it ever being as loud as it was that time. The blast was echoing off of everything. To make matters worse, I had just put a VG on it, and wanted to practice shooting hammers. AFAIK it's not against the rules to shoot rapid fire, but it was so loud, and I didn't want to draw attention to myself, that I switched to the hummer, which was the real reason for the range visit anyway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe if I'm in death or survive scenario I'd also use whatever I have in my hands... now that I know how loud the damn thing is, I know what to expect [:D]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Muzzle brakes, without a brake a 12g will be louder.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:36:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Giles Stock told our class a story about a test they did in the SWAT team.  (FYI Giles was in charge of training Phoenix SWAT for 7 years).

According to Giles, the 12 gauge was the loudest indoors of the 3 weapons tested (12 gauge shotgun, 5.56 carbine, and handgun).  Though all of them were loud enough to cause hearing dammage.

Doesn't matter what you're using - if its w/o ear protection you will dammage your hearing to some degree.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]
My right ear is not very good due to fire fights when i was in the British army on the Falkland Islands. There is no time to put plugs in.A mortar exploding "very close" to me started if off Im sure.
I always use ear muffs now to save the hearing I have left.In an emergency situation I wouldnt bother to fumble for a set though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I know that an AOW 12 gauge and a 16" AK braked AR are both [u]damn[/u] loud, having fired both.  I think the AOW was a little louder, but that may have been because I was standing beside it when a friend fired it without warning us to put on hearing protection.  I know the AOW caused some permanent damage to my left ear.

Neither is safe for your ears.  I am really glad we were not indoors when it happened.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#13]
...so neither is safer for my ears?

Ok you folks are throwing me up! [:D] The intent of this thread was to determine which weapon would be easier on my ears when fired indoors. When I "obtained" information I would go get a Sure-Fire light, either Shotgun version or Carbine version to use in defensive situation.

From the information I gathered, all I can concur is to buy both of them [whacko]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...so neither is safer for my ears?
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From the information I gathered, all I can concur is to buy both of them [whacko]
View Quote

Actually, that is standard ARFcom answer. ( to any question [;)])
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
To add to NOTACK's post. You MUST buy one of everything then swap the stuff you don't like for more neat stuff you don't have.

Edited to add:  or more toys for you to play with.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top