Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 2:03:59 PM EDT
It took me right at three years from the time I had my first brown handguard. I remember Blanco being kind of mad at me for getting lucky so fast.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#1]
So long that I sold my pg's and quit looking.  Figured that would be when I found some.  Paint worked for a while but currently in the process of stripping back to original.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
not mine !!!! but there is a set of green handgaurds for $1500.00 on sturm right now
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
not mine !!!! but there is a set of green handgaurds for $1500.00 on sturm right now
View Quote

Well that is a very nice pair of hand guards.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had the patience .... I called John Thomas
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
4 years. And I got real lucky.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
It was probably about a year before I found my first handguards...less than that for the first stock.

Morg308 twisted my arm to begin my 601 adventure on 12/29/2008.  He forced me to buy the pile of stuff here.  (Wrong barrel, wrong sight wheel, later furniture...and at the time I didn't realize those were the hardest parts to find.  Hell of a way to start a hobby!)
In the five years since then, I've bought I think 6 green stocks (5 A's, 1 B), 3 sets of handguards ranging from 98% green to about 1% green, and probably a dozen green pistol grips...plus an all-original ex-police 601 wearing its factory black-on-brown furniture.

Unfortunately, I paid fair market prices for most of that.  And that seems to be the "secret."  If you're determined to buy original parts, first gather your dollars--plenty of them--and be ready to pounce.  For instance, the set currently on Sturm look real nice (almost as nice as my green set ), but they're not cheap.  Maybe the seller would entertain an offer.  Maybe not.  But if I were determined to acquire furniture...at least there's something on the market!

Of course, the furniture isn't even the hardest stuff to find.  Finding a nice early bayo is harder.  Finding original 1-in-14 barrels is even harder than that.  And finding a Delft scope is even harder still.  But again, I can testify that they can all be found.
...All it takes is patience and money!

Don't let that discourage you, though.  Occasionally, bargains can be found.  They're just few and far between, so they require some real diligence...and a lot of luck!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it was about 2 years to gather my whole set, with your help of course GUTS. (My memory isn't the best anymore , so I could be off.)

I got all of mine for very good prices or trade values. I feel fortunate in that, especially seeing some of the prices we've all seen this stuff go for. There is no way I would have forked out that much cash for some of these parts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
It took me approximately 8 years to find my 601 green over brown handguards and pistol grip at a reasonable price.  I purchased 2 right sides and 2 pistol grips from Numrich, then traded one of the right sides for a left side.  Still don't have a green over brown 601 buttstock.

Not having the money and patience to wait.  I thought I'd give it a try to produce some faux green over brown furniture.

Top rifle: genuine 601 green over brown handguards, 601 green over brown pistol grip and faux green over brown buttstock with some minor distress.
Middle rifle: faux brown handguards, pistol grip and buttstock.
Bottom rifle: distressed faux green over brown handguards, pistol grip and buttstock (this is my favorite set of furniture)

Uh oh, it looks like it's time to re-up my membership status.  Wish I would've purchased a lifetime membership when they were available.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I joined the left side hunters club. I thought I wouldnt even get the right side one I do have. I was very lucky and very fast when I did come across it.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I swore I'd never build a 601 when I first found the forum.  I had other builds in mind.  But once they were completed their was only one hurdle left.

First 601 part for me was a stripped brown PG from MX56...Mr. Snafu.  I had bought my first GB purchase from him.  A black mottled grip.  He kindly threw in
a brown 601 PG as a gift since it was Christmas 2007. I think he knew all along what he was doing by giving me that 01 grip.
He is one kind soul.....and funny as hell.

My second part was a Type B green stock from Dean.  I thank him for his generosity in willing to sell me a stock.  I figured, "Get one while I can and just hold on to it".
Another "Salt of the Earth" kinda guy

Then M1 Sniper entered the picture.  End of story.

Anyway, I got a Type A from him (M1Sniper) and 95% of the rest of the build.  Couldn't and wouldn't have done it without him and his support.
His dedication to detail and originality is infectious.

But it wasn't until Mid 2010 that I got the original HG's.  Thanks to heads up on GB from Brick.  So 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had two green 601 grips come my way – and got rid of them as fast as possible. I just don’t want to start down that expensive path.

I am not a patient man.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top