Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:42:22 AM EDT
www.ammo-oracle.com

Maybe you should test yourself?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:56:35 AM EDT
I would if I had someplace to shoot.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:59:49 AM EDT
A buddy did a test, and found that after 2 weeks, it still went bang whether it was Win, Fed, or Wolf.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:04:53 AM EDT
See that is the test I would do if I could.

Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:33:34 AM EDT
For short periods of time, water won't affect the bullets. Just be sure to air dry them and wipe them off with a clean, dry cloth. Check for corrosion from time to time.

Bullets don't stand a chance in oil, though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:30:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MisterPX:
A buddy did a test, and found that after 2 weeks, it still went bang whether it was Win, Fed, or Wolf.

I find this hard to believe since BTAmmolabs tested wolf and it was unfireable after 24 hours.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:32:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Austrian:

I find this hard to believe since BTAmmolabs tested wolf and it was unfireable after 24 hours.

But was BT Ammolabs able to test ammo like WCC or LC? Philippine Army and Marine soldiers are exposed to one of the most harshest environments (jungle, sea), but moisture/humidity doesn't seem to affect their bullets. And they don't have the luxury to change bullets as often as US Armed Forces do. Exposure to moisture/water for short periods of time, i.e., crossing a river, getting caught in the rain won't damage the bullet, based on experience. Just clean them after exposure to moisture. It's the oil that "kills" the primer. And they use WCC, LC, Pong San, BMP (Bataan Munitions Plant) which was formerly RPA (Republic of the Philippines Army) which use US-made components.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:17:30 PM EDT

I'm relaying what he told me. Cases were rusty, but they still went bang. Try it for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:39:20 PM EDT
Not sure about submerged but i lost a full mini 14 mag once and some friends of mine found it 10 years later ,where it had layed in a field exposed to the elements, they all fired.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:43:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By billy_bob:
Not sure about submerged but i lost a full mini 14 mag once and some friends of mine found it 10 years later ,where it had layed in a field exposed to the elements, they all fired.

What part of TX? Tell me more, 10 years? really I want details. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:52:05 PM EDT
Check this test out that was done last year The test was done by Team Member SC-Texas
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:52:27 PM EDT
The magazine was lost on the pease river a few miles west of the hun farm ,the ammo was surplus we used to buy at the dallas gun show in the late 70 s nothing special, trashed the mag it was rusted up bad.It was still in a mag pouch when found.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:45:10 AM EDT

I'm relaying what he told me. Cases were rusty, but they still went bang. Try it for yourself.

No need. BT Ammo Labs already did. And the results are published. The Wolf rounds froze in the casing after the end of the test and had to be removed with pliers and would probably Ka-Boom any rifle you tried to fire them with. From that test:

"Notes: I wouldn't want to drink the water that the Wolf was in. Dark brown after 12 hours. Yuck. Clearly, the rounds don't get along with water."

Folks, I know it's tempting to lend the many dozens of years of experience your [good buddy/former SEAL/FBI secretary/Gun Store Owner/new special friend from the gunshow] told you, but this sort of advice ("try it yourself") can get people hurt and blow up expensive rifles.

Honestly, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't post something that is going to get people hurt and waste all of our time refuting with information you could have found yourself if you had read the requirements of this forum and read the damn FAQ/Ammo Oracle.

That's what the Ammo-Oracle is here for.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:48:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 7:49:56 AM EDT by Austrian]

Originally Posted By rch:

But was BT Ammolabs able to test ammo like WCC or LC?

Like almost every question we see on this forum, the answer lies in the AR15.com Ammo Oracle.

In this case under:

Q. What is "sealed" ammo? Why does it matter? How can I tell if my ammo is "sealed"?

and

Q. What common ammo is properly sealed? Is Wolf/SA/Lake City/M193 properly sealed?

Philippine Army and Marine soldiers are exposed to one of the most harshest environments (jungle, sea), but moisture/humidity doesn't seem to affect their bullets. And they don't have the luxury to change bullets as often as US Armed Forces do. Exposure to moisture/water for short periods of time, i.e., crossing a river, getting caught in the rain won't damage the bullet, based on experience. Just clean them after exposure to moisture. It's the oil that "kills" the primer. And they use WCC, LC, Pong San, BMP (Bataan Munitions Plant) which was formerly RPA (Republic of the Philippines Army) which use US-made components.

Thanks for the tip, but you could have saved a lot of the typing if you had checked this forum's FAQ (the Oracle) first.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:28:44 AM EDT
Thanks

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:38:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Check this test out that was done last year The test was done by Team Member SC-Texas

Thanks for the link. Neat test.

I've shot most of that ammo tested.

Looks like for a week underwater they would hold.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:17:03 AM EDT
"No need. BT Ammo Labs already did. And the results are published. The Wolf rounds froze in the casing after the end of the test and had to be removed with pliers and would probably Ka-Boom any rifle you tried to fire them with. From that test:
"Notes: I wouldn't want to drink the water that the Wolf was in. Dark brown after 12 hours. Yuck. Clearly, the rounds don't get along with water."

Funny how in SC's test, after 24 hours, the wolf water is not brown. Funny how my friend shot them and no stuck bullets. How about a link to this BT ammo test?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 12:53:34 PM EDT by Austrian]

"No need. BT Ammo Labs already did. And the results are published. The Wolf rounds froze in the casing after the end of the test and had to be removed with pliers and would probably Ka-Boom any rifle you tried to fire them with. From that test:

Funny how in SC's test, after 24 hours, the wolf water is not brown. Funny how my friend shot them and no stuck bullets. How about a link to this BT ammo test?

Uh....

"DAY 1- MONDAY 8-23-2004: 24 HOURS"

The Wolfe is showing signs of premature failure. Apparently, the polymer coating doesn't stop the rust. Maybe we should call the Wolfe Whipped Puppy!

I've already given the link for the BTAmmolabs test.

Hint:

RIF - READING IS FUNDAMENTAL
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:56:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:22:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:51:33 PM EDT
*crickets*
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:28:28 PM EDT
The day one pic is clearly not BROWN water. I saw the BT link in the ammo oracle, but all the pages in there are about frag, penetration, etc., nothing on water testing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:19:56 PM EDT

The day one pic is clearly not BROWN water. I saw the BT link in the ammo oracle, but all the pages in there are about frag, penetration, etc., nothing on water testing.

If you won't actually look at the links and don't know what color "brown" is then I don't have time for you.

Once again, RIF - Reading Is Fundamental.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:14:09 AM EDT
But the Wolf powder stayed dry.

So it was only the rusty cartridge cases that may prove a problem.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:24:55 AM EDT

www.houstonattorney.org/images/Ammo%20Test/Ammo%20test%20005.JPG

If you call that brown, you may need to adjust your monitor.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:45:36 PM EDT

www.houstonattorney.org/images/Ammo%20Test/Ammo%20test%20005.JPG

If you call that brown, you may need to adjust your monitor.

Tell you what, if you agree to drink from it, I'll conceed the point.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:55:44 PM EDT
Maybe I can't read, but the BT test looks like it was done was with the Wolf laquered. Does the polymer coated need pliers after a coupla days?

BTW-I wouldn't drink the clear water from the "good" ammo brands unless I was really thirsty anyway. Not all bad stuff is cloudy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:06:56 PM EDT

Tell you what, if you agree to drink from it, I'll conceed the point.

Can't be any worse than the water that comes out of a public park water fountain
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:08:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rch:

But was BT Ammolabs able to test ammo like WCC or LC?

Like almost every question we see on this forum, the answer lies in the AR15.com Ammo Oracle.

In this case under:

Q. What is "sealed" ammo? Why does it matter? How can I tell if my ammo is "sealed"?

and

Q. What common ammo is properly sealed? Is Wolf/SA/Lake City/M193 properly sealed?

Philippine Army and Marine soldiers are exposed to one of the most harshest environments (jungle, sea), but moisture/humidity doesn't seem to affect their bullets. And they don't have the luxury to change bullets as often as US Armed Forces do. Exposure to moisture/water for short periods of time, i.e., crossing a river, getting caught in the rain won't damage the bullet, based on experience. Just clean them after exposure to moisture. It's the oil that "kills" the primer. And they use WCC, LC, Pong San, BMP (Bataan Munitions Plant) which was formerly RPA (Republic of the Philippines Army) which use US-made components.

Thanks for the tip, but you could have saved a lot of the typing if you had checked this forum's FAQ (the Oracle) first.

But I figured out, the ammo-oracle tests were done in a controlled environment. I've had experience with ammo that was carried in the rain. No FTFs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:51:34 PM EDT
from what i gather normal field conditions"rain,humidity"wont really affect any regular ammo then?

so in the big picture sealed ammo is not really nessary but a nice bonus...

just keep it dry and ya will be ok right?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:42:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ops144:
from what i gather normal field conditions"rain,humidity"wont really affect any regular ammo then?

so in the big picture sealed ammo is not really nessary but a nice bonus...

just keep it dry and ya will be ok right?

Sealants give your ammo an extra level protection against contaminants that could affect bullet performance. Some of the ammo I used were RPA (Republic of the Philippines Army) which were not sealed. The ammo that replaced RPA, BMP or Bataan Munitions Plant, are sealed. I've carried them in the rain, crossed rivers, but they still fired. Just be sure to air-dry and wipe them with a dry, clean cloth after exposure to water. Like I previously said, oil is the biggest culprit of bullets.
Top Top