Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 6:00:36 AM EDT
plunger.   the thing that goes against the spring in the receiver and pushes against the bolt hold open/release.
didn't want to go in at all and i pushed it in with a slight resistance, now it won't come out.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this new construction or a previously functioning firearm gone bad?

Is the spring behind it (bolt catch plunger)?

If it went in with slite resistance you might try firmly, but gently thuming it against your hand or a padded serface.  Oil it up first.

Hit with some 600 grit before putting it back in and/or look in your recess for a burr or some crap & crud.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#2]
new RR receiver and new bolt stop plunger.   probably should have lapped it first when it wouldn't go and only pushed in slightly and pop in she went.   been working it with a dowel , but it only comes out so far.

by the way these guys that say they assembly one on the wife's kitchen table in only 30 minutes with no tools are just funning you!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#3]
if there are no parts modifications and all the parts work right out of the box, 30 minutes on the kitchen table is not an exaggeration.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]
J3   No.   new Rock River receiver , used spring, and new plunger.  

i explained the situation just now to an ex-marine armorer that works with me  and he said worst case that you drill a small hole in the back and punch it out.   he said with luck and wd 40 it might work itself out, kinda makes me sick though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#5]
take it to a qualified gun smith. i'll bet he can get it out. i wouldn't drill anything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
trweezers, dental pick, forceps,oil & shake the shit out of it

Keep us updated on progress
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The same thing happened to me.  Plunger is stuck on top of the spring and pressed into the hole.  I ended up drilling a very small hole through the other side and pushing it out from the back.

You might also be able to drill a small hole in the top of the plunger and pull it out from the front.  Tough to do with such a small part...

-smn
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Will the plunger depress below flush? If so, get the same size drill bit that is used to make the hole and spin it in as far as it will go by hand. This will only clean up the uppermost part of the hole but the top edge is most likely to have the burr.  Nothing lost since even if it doesn't work, you'll have another odd size drill bit for the tool collection.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry I couldn't get back here earlier.  Server link crapped out at [s]work[/s] my other computer.

ArmyOrdGuy might be onto something here.  Try pushing it all the way in and then instead of using a drill maybe try a tooth pick with some 600 grit wrapped around it and hit the rim of the hole.  That, more than likely, is where the problem is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]
hey ArmyOrdGuy and Halfcocked i was already thinking of something along these lines, something like a dremel drum sander, but by hand without the power dremel.  
  work out of town and left the receiver at my apartment, won't be able to try again until Monday when i go back to work.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Pick up the drill bit anyway. When you get the spring and detent out, run the bit into the hole BY HAND to remove any grit or heavy coating in the bore hole. Watch using the fine grit as the particles might fall into the hole and jam it even more. Hold it over your head so any particles fall out of the hole, not in (gravity always works the same way every time).
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#12]
what size is the hole?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The receiver drawing that I have (courtesy of AR15.com) shows the hole to be 0.156"+/- .003 A #22 drill bit is nominally 0.157" and a #23 bit is nominally 0.154" Use a micrometer/caliper to measure the max diameter of the detent and the spring. Then use the bit that is slightly larger. DO NOT go to Home Depot and ask for numbered drill bits. The puzzled look that you'll get will tell you that you just wasted your time there.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Got it out!
had the flu for 2 weeks and haven't felt like it till now.   Oiled it up and worked it, wouldn't come out so used the #23 bit and it was too small, then used the #22 and rotated it BACKWARDS by hand and had to take needle nosed pliers to get plunger out.   rubbed the plunger on some sandpaper and now it works great.

free advise to everyone,  make sure the spring is in there before trying the plunger since it is a blind hole!

thanks for the ideas
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top