Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 10/30/2004 10:10:36 AM EDT
I'm new to the forum and plan to buy my first AR in the next couple of months.  What's the general thought on whether one should get a mil-spec rifle, or at least what parts is it important to have mil-spec?  

I've gathered that the receiver pins should be mil-spec for maximum versatility in changing uppers, but is there anything else I should be keeping my eye on when purchasing?  I've been thinking specifically about the RRA Entry Tactical or the 6920.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:24:25 AM EDT
I'm not aware of any Mil-Spec AR15
All jokes aside, your questions can be answered via the search function. And stick with Bushmaster, Colt, RRA or LMT.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:44:14 AM EDT
Your are correct about push pins being one item. Colt used a screw set up for a long time. Colt also used oversized trigger group pins, and a plastic buffer inside the buffer tube. Other companys did things too. If you stick with current Bushmaster, RRA, and LE Colt rifles you'll do fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:50:11 AM EDT
Im a Smith For ADCO Firearms and we use 95% Rock River parts, The rifles are great and a smidge cheaper than Bushies or Colt. I cant say ive ever come across A rock river that Wasnt  of Extremely High quality. Basically unless its an M16 its not Mil-Spec, but RRA Buchmaster Colt LMT and such are all Considered to be "Mil-Spec" and are all compatible with all Mil-Spec parts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:58:36 AM EDT
Mil-Spec isn't always a good thing , many times it is geared more towards
durability over quality .

AR's are so customizable , you should really do some research on what it is
you want it to do . Now that the ban is gone ( For You ) any good quality lower
would be a good place to start . From there is where you tailor it to your wants and needs .
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:59:45 AM EDT
mil-spec is a good benchmark or reference point, that's all it is for me!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:02:59 AM EDT
Mil-spec is a set of requirements (demsions) that the government approves! the contract pretty much states in order to build a M16 it has to meet goverment standards. true NO ar15 is mil-spec because of the lower is NOT machined to m16 specs but every part sence the AW ban expired that you can have everything up to Mil-spec BUT the lower rec.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:23:28 PM EDT
Top Top