Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 3:07:17 PM EDT
I recently got a good deal on a barrel that is 20" long, but for whatever reason the last guy attached a brake with red loc-tite. He timed the brake straight and used no crush washer. Pretty ghetto. I want to remove the brake and add something evil. How hard is it going to be to get off? I am wondering if heating with my torch will do the trick or if I'll have to split it with the Dremel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Heat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
MEK or Tolulene will kill it too.  Loctite sells a chemical removal product, as well.

On something the size of a brake, it will probably come off without heat or chems.  Do you have an action block or barrel vise?  

However, heat or chems will be a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you have an action block or barrel vise?  

However, heat or chems will be a good thing.

Yeah, I have all of the above. I tried to clamp the barrel in the vice and remove with a wrench. I need to pull out the acetelyene torch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Heat with a torch will do just fine.  If you go to loctites website, I think they state something like 450F as a temp rating.

I use:
Shrink Tubing heat gun
Oven
Standard Plumbing torch

Oven is good if you can throw the whole thing in.
Heat Gun is the ok and you have less chance to discolor anything
Torch is the fastest and easiest, but you have a higher chance of discoloring the parts.  2-3 second with a MAAP Torch then try to turn, if no go, 2-3 more seconds, then try....repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Use the smoke wrench  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Caution with heat as the temps listed above may start to affect any heattreating.  I would start with the chemical stuff.

Then I would use a wrench with 'cheater' pipe (an extension basically) to create a longer torque arm.

Then  I would use heat.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Use a propane torch, not oxy-acetelyene.  It doesn't need to get more than about 400 degrees to soften & break-down the Loc-tite.  Much more than that and you will be disturbing the metalurgy of the barrel.  Don't ever get that crap near your guns (except trigger adjusting screws.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Use a propane torch, not oxy-acetelyene.  It doesn't need to get more than about 400 degrees to soften & break-down the Loc-tite.  Much more than that and you will be disturbing the metalurgy of the barrel.  Don't ever get that crap near your guns (except trigger adjusting screws.

and even then, use BLUE Loctite
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#9]
a thread loosener called 'Blaster' will soften red Loctite.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I soaked it in penetrating oil all day and she came right off by hand.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I soaked it in penetrating oil all day and she came right off by hand.

You got lucky.  My buddy Chester was down in the basement and strained his liver trying to twist his brake off.
XM202
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top