Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2005 9:30:08 PM EDT
I am new to AR rifles . I am looking at it to coyote hunt with. I am looking at the Bushmaster V- Match 20 inch fluted barrel with a Bushmaster stage 2 trigger in it all work done by Bushmaster. I will only shoot hunting ammo no fmj in it. I want the gun just for coyote hunting.  Please let me know what you think about this rifle  before i order one. And do you think it is the right one for what i am wanting to use it for. I want to get one that will let me a long time. I dont know much about AR rifles. thanks VM
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Very accurate rifle but the Bushy trigger is one of the worst of it's kind. If you are having the fluted bbl and trigger added to a V Match from Bushy you would probably be better off getting the varminter. It is complete w/ the trigger and fluted 24" bbl. You can pick them up around $900 or so. However if I were you I probably would use a lightweight carbine for yote hunting. Much easier and quicker to handle. the Varminter and V Match are both heavy bipod type rifles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi YELLOWV i like what have read about the Bushmaster V-Match rifle. And my bolt action gun weights about the same. What about the trigger i can get it for 90.00 dollars. What kind would you use. The guy at Bushmaster said it would work good for coyote hunting. If you dont think it will let me know and a name of a better one. All i am going to do is dog hunt with it .VM
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:40:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the Bushy varminter and fluted V match are the lightest varmint/target types, they are not a full bull barrel for one thing and balance quite a bit better.  They dont handle like a carbine, but they are able to be used off hand without taking steroids and working out for a year before hand.

I built a a fluted 20" upper for dogging and coyotes, I was tempted by the 24" for the extra legs it would give a bullet, but I carry mine quite a bit and the extra 4" seems to bang into everything.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi Onepoint i will to carry mine alot. I look at the 24 inch barrels . But i thought the 20 inch flutted would work . How do you like yours . How does it group . And what ammo does it shoot the best. And is the chamber on the Bushmaster is both isnt it  223 or 5.56NATO? VM
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the Varminter and replace the Bushy trigger w/ a Chip McCormick two stage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The Bushy varminter and Ultra match are 2 different animals, and I don't own either, though I have shot the varminter some.

The varminter is not chrome lined, and chambered in 223, and the ultra match is chrome lined and chambered in 5.56 according to Bushmaster.   I haven't heard anyone complain either isn't accurate enough to varmint with.

I have a Shaw  20" non chrome fluted barrel on mine and its running a little over 1 MOA with cheap winchester HP 40 pack and federal XM193.  I have some Ultramax 50gr tnt HP to try and some Black hills 40 & 50gr Vmax but I havn't ran it yet.  I dont have much over 100 rounds or so through it yet, and its starting to tighten up, but I am not thrilled with it for being uber precise just yet.  I expect a little trade off in that regard for the improved portability but it isn't 500 yard plus prairedog worthy yet IMO. Of course my 500 yard plus shooting probably isnt worthy either.

Actually,  carrying wasn't so bad with the long barrel, but my rifles spend time on the ATV rifle rack and being dragged in and out of a pickup so the shorter barrel makes a noticeable difference.  As far as just carrying the Bushy varminter probably would work fine, a trigger swap can be done anytime if you dont like it..
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, go w/ the V-match.  I've used a V-Match with excellent results on coyotes.  It's good medicine.  Mine wasn't fluted although I'd say that it would be a good option to add on a coyote/varmint rig.

I had the BM 2-stage trigger installed in my V-match and I also had one in a Varminter that I acquired.  I ended up putting the standard FGC back into the V-match. Having cut my teeth on an old Colt SP1 w/ a ~12#  trigger, there was no sense in me learning trigger control all over again.  

The V-match I traded to my brother and still miss it today.  The Varminter I traded off as I didn't care for the non-chrome bore & the long 24" barrel.  It looked cool, especially w/ an ace stock slapped on it... But it just seemed "unwieldy" to me and at a premium over the V-match, I can't see what it could offer over the V-match aside from the looks.

One day my Dad and I were driving through a small prairie dog town situated in the bottom of a small coulee.  As we busted over a hill, there was 3 coyotes on the road.  They only needed to travel about 200 yds in any direction and they'd be out of sight.  They were probably around 100 yards by the time  I pulled up the old V-match and several rounds later I had two of the devil dogs dead on the ground.  The third coyote had apparently played this game before as he just put his head down and found high gear upon spotting us.  I was just able to get the cross hairs on him when he sky-lined and went over the hill finding safety.  

HTH.  

Sly
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased a M4gery and a 24" Varmint (bull barrel) to do some prairie dog hunting last year and both worked great.  I found myself favoring the M4 style for a few reasons; it is lighter, it has an adjustable stock, and I was using a 1x-4x scope (left in 4x post of the day).  It was quicker in aquiring the targets.  Since we didn't use shooting benches like a lot of doggie hunters do, I had to change the stock position for a few different shooting stances (Top of the truck, truck tailgate, truck hood, and on the ground).  Also we were shooting pretty fast without a spotter, we scanned the ground in sweeping motions (4x) and as we saw the doggies, pop, pop.  FLYER!!!

Tons of fun.  I wasn't too interested in the long 300+ shots as there were just too many to pop up closer.  It was more fun seeing the buggers fly at 50 yards!!!

Granted almost any rifle is good for Yotes, even the 17HMR is doing well in the yote hunting circles.  So the power gained from a 20 to 24 incher isn't enough to matter in my opinion, and for that matter 14.5 to 16 all the way to 24 won't matter that much (again my opinion).
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#9]
i have a fluted 20'' bushy with varmiter tube, installed jp yellow springs for trigger, butthook stock. it does about 1.5'' with milsurp and i can get a little under 1'' with reloads or somthing it likes, does well with win. 45 gr. varmit value packs. primarily used for woodchucks and sometimes p-dog trip, works well for me.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks I-M-A-WMD sounds like you like it. I am new to AR's and wanted one to coyoye hunt with. That is all i am going to do with it. And that is the one i like the most the Bushmater V-MATCH 20 inch fluted and haveing a Bushmaster stage 2 trigger put in it at the factory. I have talk to other people some good predator hunters using the same gun. And with 60gr Vmaxs ammo and they are getting 1/2 to 3/4 groups with there's. I hope mine will do it. Most of my shots will be out to 250 to 300 yrds . So i am going with a Nikon 3x9x40mm scope. I dont know what kind of rings or mount is the best for this gun. What did you have on yours. And i wont shoot any FMJ ammo threw it just hunting ammo. I am going to use it just for coyotes. Thanks VM
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Read the info I replied to in this post and then imagine how much more those gripes would be with the 20":
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=250680  

I took the sling loop off of the FSB, and added a stud for the Harris bipod.   Someone in Canada ended up buying the upper.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I think i will like the V-Match for coyote hunging. I have carry a Remington 700 SFVF 22 250 in a 26 inch barrel  6x24x40mm scope it wasnt to bad to carry VM
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top