Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/23/2003 4:04:54 AM EDT
Not too long ago, I finally acquired my SF M962SUO6 light and my GGG UFIR rail that I installed on my Bushmaster Dissipator.

As presetnly mounted, the front end of the light is about 3" away from the muzzle. I only have room to move it back one notch, which will then put it it a bit over 3". Moving it further than that will put the ARMS throw lever base past the UFIR rail.

So, is this too close. I read somewhere here that having the light too close to the muzzle causes the lens to get too dirty or some other stuff that might interfere with the light. True? But I always see MP5's with their lights flush with the muzzle most of the time.

Any info?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:24:47 AM EDT
And you know what happens to the flashlight lens on those MP5 SureFire lights? The lens gets coated with gunshot residue. jvn
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:35:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JvN: And you know what happens to the flashlight lens on those MP5 SureFire lights? The lens gets coated with gunshot residue. And the top of the SureFire looks like you turned a blowtorch on it....the paint blisters & looks like....like....like the gun has actually been USED for heaven's sake. But that is only cosmetic....as JvN pointed out, I would be more concerned about the coating on the lens.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:55:28 AM EDT
lights don't belong on guns. having said this i would move it as far from the muzzle as possible to protect the bulb from the blast.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:38:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 308wood: lights don't belong on guns.
View Quote
So you are saying we should use the Harries method with our long guns then? Seems like a bad idea to me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:08:57 AM EDT
i don't like lights on guns because they tend to break (even the surefire)and the light is in the middle of the shooters target area. it's a bad thing to have your light illuminating your position while you cover or fire. harries works, you can use it with a long gun and if the light dies a backup should be close at hand. if you want to do mag changes i would do them with the tac light off. everyone has a different system and while all techniques "work" everyone has a weakness. my main point was muzzle blast was bad for bulbs so move them as far back as possible. preferably off the gun. i have a surefire mounted on a rifle but i also have a scorpion as a backup.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:46:43 PM EDT
Uh, fellas, I get the point, but I don't have an MP5 with a light. My light, once again, is mounted at the 6 o'clock position via a GGG UFIR rail. The front of the light is about 3" away from the muzzle. Do you think the lens will still get messed up? It's not mounted flush with the muzzle like the MP5 set up, so I don't think I'd have a problem.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:40:50 AM EDT
i would mount it in the position you feel 1) is easy to access the ON/OFF 2) least obstructs your view 3) is as far behind the muzzle as you can put it without interfering with your handhold. Don't shoot with it mounted unless you're actually shooting in the dark.
Top Top