Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/30/2016 1:51:53 PM EDT
How far apart & should I put the rear sight at the rear most position on a floating rail? I can't find any exact info on what the locations should be. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Longer sight radius the better. Rear sight on your upper.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

FWIW, Kyle Defoor has done some experimentation and has found that, for him and his students, about 14" of separation (with the rear sight being  all the way back) gives him the best balance of accuracy and speed.  It's something to try.

http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/post/42282097574/some-new-discoveries-with-irons-first-some
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't look for research like you are.  I put mine as far apart as possible and it works great.  I guess 14" is the best based on the presented research.  Hummmmm...
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How far apart & should I put the rear sight at the rear most position on a floating rail? I can't find any exact info on what the locations should be. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
View Quote

Have you bothered to look at any pics posted on this forum to maybe try and figure out where best to mount them? Why would you think you should mount a rear sight on the free float rail?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#6]
As far apart as you can.  Really depends on what your doing with it though
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#7]
As far apart as you can.
12" barrel..........
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FWIW, Kyle Defoor has done some experimentation and has found that, for him and his students, about 14" of separation (with the rear sight being  all the way back) gives him the best balance of accuracy and speed.  It's something to try.

http://kyledefoor.tumblr.com/post/42282097574/some-new-discoveries-with-irons-first-some
View Quote

In my own research, the further away the front sight is from the shooter, being that it is the focal point,  the deeper or larger the depth of field.  This means that the ability to clearly see the target while focusing on the front sight is improved the further the front sight is away from the shooter.  

Furthermore, rear peep size also influences the depth of field with significant gains by dropping aperture size at the cost of low light performance.  

Also in the SHTF challenge here on ARF,  the  carbines averaged out to 7.0 moa on the rapid fire unsupported targets while iron sighted rifles averaged out to 5.9 moa when looking at the top ten shooters in either category.  As a reference those with Optics be it Carbine or rifle dropped their group size to 4.1 for carbines and 4.0 moa for rifles.  This was the average of the top 10 shooters in each category where applicable as of 31st May 2016.

I believe that the sight radius played a key role in improving the rifle shooters score over the carbines.

Also, positioning the irons at unconventional positions causes the adjustment per click to change.  A 1/2 minute carry handle will not track 1/2 minutes if you position the front sight at mid length or carbine length sight radius as it was set up for the geometry for the sight radius of a rifle.

I try to keep my sights at rifle length for all the reasons above where I can.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top