BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 12:19:38 PM EDT
First off, thanks for looking

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I see this term frequently and I think it means any 16" carbine that has an M4 profile barrel. Am I correct?

Also, my Colt says "M4 CARBINE" on the side. Is it still considered an M4gery because it's merely a watered-down civilian version of a "real" military M4?

Thanks in advance for the clarification...
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always understood it as any AR-15 that looks similar to an M4 that is not an M4.  I call mine a Mutt4gery because of all the various part vendors used. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
First off, thanks for looking [:)]

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I see this term frequently and I [i]think[/i] it means any 16" carbine that has an M4 profile barrel. Am I correct?
View Quote

Yes

Also, my Colt says "M4 CARBINE" on the side. Is it still considered an M4gery because it's merely a watered-down civilian version of a "real" military M4?

Thanks in advance for the clarification...
View Quote

Yes, for some, but thats close enough for me. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I call them  M4wannabe.....a more appropriate name for it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to be easy, either it was Title II Colt M4 or it was not. But now that Colt sells a Title I M4 Carbine like yours, it is hard to argue that is not a valid M4.

So I would say if it is stamped "Colt M4" it qualifies, with there being a Title I and Title II version, just like Colt made Title 1 AR15s and Title II AR15s (eventually changing name to M16).
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Used to be easy, either it was Title II Colt M4 or it was not. But now that Colt sells a Title I M4 Carbine like yours, it is hard to argue that is not a valid M4.

So I would say if it is stamped "Colt M4" it qualifies, with there being a Title I and Title II version, just like Colt made Title 1 AR15s and Title II AR15s (eventually changing name to M16).
View Quote

That's a good way to look at it.  If it was made in the Colt factory, it's an M4.  Anything else is an M4gery.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the clarification guys.

Chances are I'll never get my hands on a "real" select-fire M4, so I'll have to settle for what I have [:)]

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_Lower.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah but what about the 500 Bushmaster M4 carbines that were purchased during Desert Storm?  They dont say M4 anywhere and they are still called M4s.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#8]
All this mumbo jumbo about names and whatnot... if it has an M4 profile barrel, its an M4gery. If it is a select fire, military issued gun with an M4 barrel, it is an M4. At least in my book.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top