Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/26/2004 12:28:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/26/2004 12:28:31 AM EST by metroplex]
I keep hearing about how people can screw up the upper receiver by using the action block to hold the receiver and attempting to install a FH or FSB on the barrel (already attached to upper).

Now how durable are the AR15s when completely assembled? if you accidentally smacked the barrel on a wooden table top, would that throw off accuracy?

I see Marines carrying their M16A2/M203s in a crowded hallway and all you hear are their rifles hitting the walls
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:49:58 AM EST
I abused a Colt a while back and as long as I fed it and kept it clean it worked just fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:08:49 AM EST
metroplex

No one is mangling their upper receiver trying to take off a FS, at least not if they have even the slightest clue as to what they are doing. You would have to get up early, and work over time to be that stupid.

It is designed as a combat weapon, it takes quite a beating and continues to work. I beat on my rifle in the military, and I have no doubt that it is still being beat on now without any problems.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:14:41 AM EST
It's a tool for work. If you bang a hammer against a steel pole long enough you'd end up w/ a bent hammer. Same applies to the AR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:24:14 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:30:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By TheRicker:
There is a particular firearms instructor that begins his carbine classes by tossing his M4 back over his shoulder, usually onto gravel.

A quality weapon will hold up to many years of use and some abuse.

Hey! That's exactly what I do after I load the AR w/ a full mag, just to make sure that there's no accidental slam fire.

Yes, I am just kidding.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:45:51 AM EST
1. The M16 family of weapons has been the backbone of our military since the '60's. They are also used by other countries throughout the world.

2. Military rifles take considerably more abuse than civilian ones, even if the civvy is an idiot.

3. The parts that make up a decent civvy semi-M16 are of at least equal quality as a true M16, even though the military one take the pounding of a full auto rifle.

Bottom Line= An Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt or other quality AR will easily last you for your entire life, no matter how much you shoot it. Show it some reasonable maintainance, don't do stupid things just to see if you can destroy it, and you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:16:16 AM EST
Well for the last 40+ years they've been used in military training in boot camps, deployed in the jungles, deserts, and artic, they are parachuted with, swam with, crawled in all kinds of crap with, used for competetion, dropped, dinged, probably dented in some cases; I'd say as long as you keep them reasonably clean they're probably pretty durable. But, probably not as forgiving as a mistreated AK.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:49:05 AM EST
Well I shot some M16A1s in Honduras that had been around for quite some time and they worked fine. I'd say those rifles were 30+ years old.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:11:11 PM EST
I once was the armorer responsible for maintaining several hundred M16A1s (my unit's and those of two small units that did not have their own armorers). These rifles were all at least 20-25 years old at the time, some were XM16E1s and there were even a couple of rebuilt M16s with the "A1" added using individual hand stamps. Most were Colts, but there were quite a few GMs and H&Rs.

The basic rifles were all sound, even the H&Rs.

But there are a lot of small parts that will wear out with enough use. The various detent pins in particular.

Get a set of spare pins and springs, clean your rifle in moderation, and you should never have any problems.
Top Top