Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 1:29:21 PM EST
barrels get worn. but does that mean you throw away the upper?

how long does a lower receiver last in the military?
if they only replaced them when needed, we would have lowers from vietnam.right?

are most guns mix'n match guns or factory\contracr guns?

i was thinking about this today and figured it was worth asking.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:04:25 PM EST
in my nat. guard unit. we have the AR-15's from the original Air Force order during Vietnam. It wasnt until a little over a year ago did our armory strip everything off the Colt AR-15 lowers and build new A2's. our newly built rifles have A1 stocks, which is strange, but perferable IMO. until then our armory was constantly fixing broke rifles. on a side note our SP's have new A2's.
Remman
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:13:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/12/2004 2:14:25 PM EST by Hal9k]
There are tons of old (and yes, even Vietnam-era) 16's still in military service. Hell, I had just as many A1's as A2's issued to me and I even saw a couple of crates of brand-new M16's (as in "A-nothing") sitting in a warehouse at one point.

When you take into account that most military personnel are in a support role and might only put a couple-hundred rounds through their issue rifles in a year's time, you can see how these rifles can last decades. I can imagine a lot of M16's have been worn more from over-cleaning than actual firing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:38:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hal9k:
I can imagine a lot of M16's have been worn more from over-cleaning than actual firing.

Now, if only we could convinve .gov to let us buy them back.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 3:46:39 PM EST
Amen. I would give a good chunk of change for one particular FN A2. It was the last 16 I was issued before I ETSed and it was perfect. I know both of my grandpa's were given the option to buy their service weapon (either rifle or sidearm) on their way out. I would have killed (not literally, probably) for that option...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:37:25 PM EST
Thats how I got my 1st 1911,my dad carried it in korea.Bought it from the government on his way out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:42:04 PM EST
I have a friend whos father, an ex udt, and great man is on his last days. He owns his m-16, is that legal as a heirloom?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:46:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hal9k:
Amen. I would give a good chunk of change for one particular FN A2. It was the last 16 I was issued before I ETSed and it was perfect. I know both of my grandpa's were given the option to buy their service weapon (either rifle or sidearm) on their way out. I would have killed (not literally, probably) for that option...

Well, literally, it could have been considered in the line of duty.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:12:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Stryfe:
Well, literally, it could have been considered in the line of duty.

You know, I didn't think about it from that angle. I was talking about the armorer.
Top Top