Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 10:17:29 AM EDT
I was at a local shop and he had a couple 30 round ar15 mags for sale for 10$ each that are in good shape. So I bought them. Even though I do not have the gun yet lol.

I wanted to take them apart and clean them. Just trying to figure out how the floorplate comes off. Looks like it should just slide out but it is in there pretty tight. I just wanted to ask before I screw them up.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#1]
pry up using the hole in the floorplate and slide them out!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Stick a small screwdriver in the hole on the base plate.  Pry the end up until the locking tabs clear the mag body.  Slide the base plate off.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks a lot. My mag seems to be made different...cheaper...than the ones pictured.

It was harder to get apart becayse the square part that pops out of the mag on the backside is alittle lower than the rest of the mag budy. These are probably cheapo mags. Looks like they are new or close to new though. I may have to hit that lip with a file just alittle to make this easier.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I may just be paranoid but on that link sent it shows the difference between the bottom of a 30 round and a 20 round. Mine is like the 20 round ones. But I managed to fit 32 rounds (real tight) in these mags so they have to be 30 rounders. Do designs of ar15 mags vary? I'm sorry for the dumb quesions. I am used to AK mags...simple and they are all exactly the same.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I may just be paranoid but on that link sent it shows the difference between the bottom of a 30 round and a 20 round. Mine is like the 20 round ones. But I managed to fit 32 rounds (real tight) in these mags so they have to be 30 rounders. Do designs of ar15 mags vary? I'm sorry for the dumb quesions. I am used to AK mags...simple and they are all exactly the same.

All GOOD AR mags are the same.... (USGI 30 rounders)  

If you buy off-brand mags... then expect some differences.  If you got 32 rounds in.... then those are aftermarket.  Dont put that last one in or you will damage your feedlips, and probably overpressure the spring.... if any real spring engineering went into those mags.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Drop them by accidently depressing your mag release, fully loaded,  on a hard concrete surface from a height of 25'. Works every time!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't plan on putting more tnan 30 in it. I was just checking at the place to make sure it is actually a 30 rounder. I noticed it was really hard to load...so after I took it apart I turn the spring the other way and it acts much better now. I am going to order a few of the LEO only 30 rounders from tapco along with some hungarian 20rnd ak mags. I will be ordering the ar lower very soon. Maybe tomorrow even.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top