Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2009 4:31:05 PM EDT
I have a lower that I would like to put a MIAD grip and winter trigger guard on. How do I remove the trigger guard roll pin so I can swap in the winter trigger guard?

Thanks,
James
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
you need a punch (not sure which size - just small enough to fit all the way through the hole). The first time I did it I used a finish nail to tap out the pin far enough on one side to grap it with visegrips and pull it out - it's not the best way, but it worked.

ETA - make sure you are supporting the opposite side "ear" while you are banging on it - they break off occassionally.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
You will need a block with a hole to support the trigger guard ears.  Lube the roll pin holes if needed.  Place the block, with hole under the roll pin below the receiver.  Use a 1/8 punch (I prefer a 3/32 punch or a nail punch) and small hammer to tap the roll pin into the block below.  Once it's started you can pull it out with pliers or continue tapping.  The front of the trigger guard is held in with a detent, not a roll pin.  Just press it in with a punch and the guard comes out.

If you use a block that it the right thickness you will see that it supports the front and back ears while the rest of the receiver and pistol grip are supported on the work surface.

To install the new guard there are several options, but the first thing to do is PUT THE TRIGGER GUARD IN PLACE!  Without the guard in place, tapping the roll pin "just to get it started" can or will result in breaking the ears no matter how well you have the lower ear supported.

Here are some options:

Tap it in using the same method as you did to take it out.  Lube the new roll pin if needed.

Use protected vise grips (see the arfcom build it yourself section for instructions)

Use a c-clamp to press it in.

Here are some photos to help:

Link Posted: 5/10/2009 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Best rollpin instalation tool.

White is electrical tape so no scratches to the lower.

Link Posted: 5/10/2009 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Best rollpin instalation tool.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/pliers.jpg

White is electrical tape so no scratches to the lower.

The OP wants to remove the roll pin. How do you suggest he remove it with pliers?

OP, you need a 5/32" or smaller metal punch and just knock the roll pin out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
8d nail cut in half, set over rollpin, squeeze with pliers, no hammer necessary.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
There are special punches made specifically for roll pins. I don't know how necessary they really are, but they seem worth a look.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5551
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are special punches made specifically for roll pins. I don't know how necessary they really are, but they seem worth a look.

I've just about ready to assemble my rifle and am trying to decide if I should go cheap and use the Pliers/Masking tape method, or invest in a set of Roll Pin Punches and Roll Pin Starter's.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:06:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Just look for the punches with the "bump" on the tip, that is what makes a "roll pin punch".
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've just about ready to assemble my rifle and am trying to decide if I should go cheap and use the Pliers/Masking tape method, or invest in a set of Roll Pin Punches and Roll Pin Starter's.

I've got all kinds of punches, center punches, pin punches, transfer punches, yada yada yada, got a small metal fab shop in my garage.  For working on the AR, I choose to use pliers, smooth steady application of pressure evenly on both sides of the assembly is better than a sudden shock transfer or inaccuracy with a hammer.  Only thing I've used a hammer and punch for on an AR is removing the front sight block taper pins.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got all kinds of punches, center punches, pin punches, transfer punches, yada yada yada, got a small metal fab shop in my garage.  For working on the AR, I choose to use pliers, smooth steady application of pressure evenly on both sides of the assembly is better than a sudden shock transfer or inaccuracy with a hammer.  Only thing I've used a hammer and punch for on an AR is removing the front sight block taper pins.

Like someone else pointed out.  The OP wants to REMOVE not install the pin.  

I went to harbor freight and bought a set of punches.  I have used them to install all the pins on my RRA lower and remove a few.  Just make sure you support the ears around the trigger guard.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top