Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2005 2:20:47 PM EDT
The front-sling piece that hangs down under the front sight gets in the way, I'd like to remove it. I tried using a small pin and a hammer but it wouldn't tap out. I use a rail-mount side-sling anyway. Any advice?

Thanks,

- rem

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Try drilling the mushroomed side of the rivet off.  You don't need to go all the way, just weakening it enough to be able to punch out is all you need.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool thanks, I'll try that. Hopefully I have a bit small enough.

- rem
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
4" disc grinder?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, had to drill out the ends of that mushroom before it would punch out. Thanks again,

- rem
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#5]
What size bit is best for this? Do you remember what you used?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Use a 1/16" punch.  Put it in the dimple of the rivet - hit once hard  with a hammer (support the FSB with a couple pieces of wood).  The rivet will pop right out.  The important part is the punch must be thin - if it's too large this trick won't work.

I guarantee you that is the fastest and easiest way to remove the rivets with no chance of messing up the finish on the sling 'ears'.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Use a 1/16" punch.  Put it in the dimple of the rivet - hit once hard  with a hammer (support the FSB with a couple pieces of wood).  The rivet will pop right out.  The important part is the punch must be thin - if it's too large this trick won't work.

I guarantee you that is the fastest and easiest way to remove the rivets with no chance of messing up the finish on the sling 'ears'.

+1

I did this to my Bushmasters.  It's fast, easy, and hard to screw up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I just used a drill bit that was large enough to touch the edges of the mushroom-style pin. It took 2 seconds and it shaved off the ends of the pin that overlap the outside of the ear. Since the edges are aluminum, they came off quickly and the pin fell right out. I tried punching it out but it didnt work. The drill worked fine once you find a decent size bit that is not too large or too small. Unfortunately i don't remember the size of the bit since I borrowed it from a neighbor and was laying loosely at the bottom of a toolbox.

- rem

Quoted:
What size bit is best for this? Do you remember what you used?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I used a 3/16 or smaller when I did it. it wasn't precision work so just find a bit thats a little bigger than the pin
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top