Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/2/2004 6:38:42 AM EDT
It took me a couple of tries, and I have one nasty looking castle nut on the end of my stock now, but I got my carbine buffer tube on straight finally.

Is there any trick to this or is it just hit or miss?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not clear what you are asking... Are you finishing an 80% lower?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It will only go on straight.  Otherwise the plate wouldn't line up with the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Does he mean oriented correctly in the vertical plane ? The plate that fits between the castle nut and the lower receiver is supposed to do this, but there is still some play. I just eyeball it and get on with my life... its not critical, so long as it feels OK to you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am not clear what you are asking... Are you finishing an 80% lower?

Exactly what I though when I read the concern.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe that he's asking, when you drill & tap the hole for the buffer tube, how do you get it straight?  I assume that he means parallel to the top plane of the lower.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I believe that he's asking, when you drill & tap the hole for the buffer tube, how do you get it straight?  I assume that he means parallel to the top plane of the lower.

But you don't often get several tries....  I am still confused...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Were you cross-threading your buffer tube? Just go slow. If necessary, I think youcould pull your bolt carrier out through the back to encourage proper alignment.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh man...

I created a mess.

when tightening the buffer tubes castle nut, my buffer tube rotates clockwise with the castle nut.

Just talking about regular plain old collapsable stock installation onto a bushmaster lower.

:-)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It will only go on straight.  Otherwise the plate wouldn't line up with the receiver.

I think I have a very loose plate then...because I can get mine to rotate pretty far.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh man...

I created a mess.

when tightening the buffer tubes castle nut, my buffer tube rotates clockwise with the castle nut.

Just talking about regular plain old collapsable stock installation onto a bushmaster lower.

:-)

This should not be possible if you have the backing plate that fits between the lower receiver and the castle nut properly installed on the tube.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Actualy i have seen pretty shodey backing plates in the past. The larg machine divit in the bottom of the plate is supposed to be just about the same size as the hole machined into the back of the lower for it to lock into. i ran accross a cheap stock that had a plate and the divit that is pressed into the plate was actualy undersized in diameter. The stock would indeed turn a good 1/8" or 3/16th of an inch when tightening the castle nut. Id recomened buying a new set of hardware from someone like MSTN> He sells the LMT nut and plate for 15.00 range and they fit perfect.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well shit, I'm just gonna get quality stuff...

Goin LMT Ribbed style collapsable stock and hardware...

Didn't want to spend the money, but what the hell, my M4 is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Didn't want to spend the money, but what the hell, my M4 is worth it.

Where did you get the stock you are using...  I have a guess but I want you to share before I guess!

Now, do you have pics?  I still think you must be doing something wrong here!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
its the 7 position stock that was on the board about 3 months ago.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
its the 7 position stock that was on the board about 3 months ago.

Scott

Hmmmm  I really would like to see the pics now
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Adco was selling them...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#17]
do you really want to see some pictures of it or are you just being sarcastic :-)

I can take a few and email them to you if you like.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I was being sarcastic...  my point was these must really be junk to have the problems you describe... OR.. you really did something wrong....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#19]
just checked everything over...did nothing wrong.  The tilting isn't that bad, its just enough to where I notice it!   It could also be due to the fact that I really have a think for tightening castle nuts down pretty good.  Probably alot tighter than they need to be.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#20]
are you talking about "timing" the buffer tube?  If so I don't think it's necessary.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
are you talking about "timing" the buffer tube?  If so I don't think it's necessary.

It's necessary for a carbine buffer tube, but the back of the lower receiver and the castle nut backing plate are supposed to take care of all of that for you.  In this case, I guess it doesn't.  Mind telling us what brand of lower receiver  you are using.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top