Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 8:33:21 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

I've read some on here about having a barrel cut down due to a much shorter barrel with a SEBR setup. From the way it looks it cuts the barrel down to just past the handguards. I also have read that you need to fill out a form to do that. Where do you get the form and what is the process for getting it approved? Is it something that once you fill out you can go ahead and perform or does it need to be approved prior to the modification?

The reason I'm asking is because I am wanting a 9mm ar that a guy I know has for sale and I'ld like to have it converted to a short barrel setup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-lee-
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
www.atf.gov/

subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi

and I think you're thinking of an SBR (short barrel rifle), not SEBR
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey everyone,

I've read some on here about having a barrel cut down due to a much shorter barrel with a SEBR setup. From the way it looks it cuts the barrel down to just past the handguards. I also have read that you need to fill out a form to do that. Where do you get the form and what is the process for getting it approved? Is it something that once you fill out you can go ahead and perform or does it need to be approved prior to the modification?

The reason I'm asking is because I am wanting a 9mm ar that a guy I know has for sale and I'ld like to have it converted to a short barrel setup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-lee-

Lots of other information over in the "Full Auto" forum www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=14  - there's a tacked thread at the top that covers all the details of SBR's.

In a nutshell - you need to fill out an ATF Form 1, get your local chief of police to sign it, get fingerprints and pictures and $200, and send it all to the ATF.  Then you need to sit around on your hands for 3-6 months until they send it back to you, and then you get your lower engraved with your name, city - and ONLY THEN you can put the short barreled upper on it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he means a Short Evil Barreled Rifle, as opposed to your standard Short Barreled Rifle, which could be a 10/22, bolt action, lever action, etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think he means a Short Evil Barreled Rifle, as opposed to your standard Short Barreled Rifle, which could be a 10/22, bolt action, lever action, etc.

That made me wonder - has anyone ever gotten a tax stamp to SBR a bolt action?

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top