BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2006 8:09:52 PM EDT
How do you clean your bore?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
push a brush from the chamber to muzzle until it exits the bore.  Then I pull it back through.  It won't hurt anything.  Just don't change directions in the bore.

Use a Parker-Hale type wrap around style jag and reduce the need for the brush.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#2]
OTIS cleaning kit.  Nuff said. WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

OTIS is great for cleanings away from your work bench. At home it can not compair to a rod and a good set of jags and brushes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I push it down then pull it back.

when using a loop patch holder or a brush I do not exit the bore.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I push it down then pull it back.

when using a loop patch holder or a brush I do not exit the bore.

How do you not exit the bore when using the brush? You are not supposed to change directions with a brush while it is in the bore....which is hard to do anyway with a good brush. I go all the way out and then pull back through. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
thr brush has to be worn a tad. the brush will leave about 3/4 of the way out then back it goes.

Jarheadtop in one of his books it is explained why and how to do it. It can be Just match shooters witch brew or it may work. I only run the process on my M1A (not as cheap to rebarrel as an ar).

Ar get cleaned the noraml way of back and forth.

worn bore brushes I use to wrap patches around them. Works verry well at catching a lot of crud.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#7]
otis, havent ran into anything it cant do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing changes direction when I'm cleaning or shooting.   Chamber brush to thoroughly clean the chambers and lugs then brush to clean the barrel.  I use Otis system partially.   Draw a solvent soaked patch thru the barrel (chamber to end) then drag a brush thru three to seven times (also a one direction pull) (number of times depends on how much I've fired).  Finally mopp the chamber then pull patches thru until they come out clean.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
OTIS, best kit i have ever used :)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an otis kit and I am hesitant to buy a bore guide that goes into my receiver... I have a chrome lined barrel with muzzle brake... Do I really have to worry a bout damaging my crown?  I dont have a competition crowned muzzle anyhow... Would the otis kit be more than safe for cleaning?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Iv'e recently purchased an Otis Tactical cleaning kit. It's the best system I've yet used. It's very comprehensive (although it does not contian the chamber brush) and addresses just about every need. Easy and fast with virtually no chance of damaginf you crown. In fact, I like it so much that I just purchased the M16 Military cleaning system, which will clean everything from a .22 to a .50 caliber including all shotguns. This kit also includes the M16 scaper set for detailed cleaning. I should add that Otis is an exceptional company with which to deal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Iv'e recently purchased an Otis Tactical cleaning kit. It's the best system I've yet used. It's very comprehensive (although it does not contian the chamber brush) and addresses just about every need. Easy and fast with virtually no chance of damaginf you crown. In fact, I like it so much that I just purchased the M16 Military cleaning system, which will clean everything from a .22 to a .50 caliber including all shotguns. This kit also includes the M16 scaper set for detailed cleaning. I should add that Otis is an exceptional company with which to deal.

normally I pull the cable if i'm doing a quick cleaning from breech to muzzle; otherwise if a rod is used for a more thorough cleaning i push the rod breech to muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1 on that
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top