Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:47:47 AM EDT
I bought a bolt and it had one-piece gas rings installed. I am now getting some short stroking in full auto. I want to out back on regular gas rings to see if that is the problem. Is there any tricks to taking off the one piece or installing regular rings.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#1]
No trick to replace them.  I use a pick tool, but a small jeweler's type screwdriver would work.
Just stick the tool under the end of the ring at the back end of the bolt, pry it up and out over the tail of the bolt.  No tool needed to install the new rings - just carefully work them into the grooves.  Don't spread or twist the ring open more than necessary to pop it in.  'Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know why people have to put idiotic shit like that on their bolts.  Good choice on going back to the original rings!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
yup, I just had 9000 rounds on my rings and decided to change them.  No need to, just did it.  Hey, remember, if it aint broke, don't break it!  The MacFarland ring I installed took many rounds to break in.  Subsequent posts on this site indicated, the rings really do not have to be changed and that do not need to be spaced as well.  Don't change them again, let them wear in with 55 gr factory loads.  Hey, I am a little wiser now.  Time is valuable.
Bill  D
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top