Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2003 9:24:44 AM EDT
I am wondering how you guys chamber a round as you insert a new loaded mag. You use charge handle or bolt release button? and why?
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the bolt position. If the bolt is to the rear, open, then I use the bolt release.

If it is closed, then I use the charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the bolt release, since I always lock the bolt to the rear, before inserting a magazine. It never hurts to take a quick peek to make sure there's nothing there that shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
both ways!  Prefer the button, I like the sound.[:D]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
99% of the time it's the bolt release. I keep the bolt open when empty and on the range. Safety thing [;)]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
both ways!  Prefer the button, I like the sound.[:D]
View Quote

Aaaahhh; once again TJ and I are playing in the same ball park [:D]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I like to use the bolt release if I can remember to lock it open first (assuming first load).  That way you don't have to beat the piss out of the full 30rd mag to get it seated. Plus you don't run the bolt slowly over the round (for whatever reason that always seems to scratch the case when normal firing doesn't.

After it's loaded it's always the bolt release.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Mr. Stoner put a bolt release there for a reason... use it!  It drives me nuts when my brother pulls the charging handle back to release the bolt.

It seems to be a good habit to get into... imagine all the wasted time / exposure in a serious situation releasing the bolt w/ the charging handle.

Scot
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump!

Or...as you go to shoulder the rifle, use the hand of the same shouldrt you are going to shoot from, and just quickly smack the buttstock.  Might work with you, might not.  It is something to remember if your arm doesn't work right some time.  Behind cover, use of only one arm, insert mag, jounce rifle butt on ground, proceed to shoot.  Never know, could save your butt some time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depends on the bolt position. If the bolt is to the rear, open, then I use the bolt release.

If it is closed, then I use the charging handle.
View Quote

I do the exact thing. but if you are only referring to a spped reload where you are empty and going for a mag change with your bolt lock open, I would always use the bolt release because your support hand feeding the magazine are already over the button. insert, slam the release. that simple.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top