Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 12:07:33 PM EDT
I was wondering, how do companies chrome the insides of the barrels etc? Is it a chemical they pour down the barrel, or is it electro-plated on, or some other way I don't know of? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The item to be chromed is mounted in a fixture in a tank.

A post or wire electrode is then run thru the center and is under tension to maintain position.

Chromic acid is pumped thru the interior while the proper electrial current is applied for a certian time.

Chromic acid looks like "Tang"

Part is then flushed with water and may be treated with other "bases" to nutralize acid.

This is for hard chrome - Cosmetic chrome gets a few base coats of copper or nickle before chorome is applied.

Key to process is to be sure surfaces have been properly preped and are clean.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the explaination!

I have always wondered how some Colt barrels are said to have chrome chambers but not chrome bores ?

how would they do that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
kinda figured it was something like that. Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
For doing chambers there would only be a post electrode.

Electricity likes the path of least resistance, and since the chromic acid is of constant value it will only cause the chrome to bond to an area equil to the radius.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top