Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/31/2004 12:07:33 PM EDT
I was wondering, how do companies chrome the insides of the barrels etc? Is it a chemical they pour down the barrel, or is it electro-plated on, or some other way I don't know of? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 12:31:59 PM EDT
The item to be chromed is mounted in a fixture in a tank.

A post or wire electrode is then run thru the center and is under tension to maintain position.

Chromic acid is pumped thru the interior while the proper electrial current is applied for a certian time.

Chromic acid looks like "Tang"

Part is then flushed with water and may be treated with other "bases" to nutralize acid.

This is for hard chrome - Cosmetic chrome gets a few base coats of copper or nickle before chorome is applied.

Key to process is to be sure surfaces have been properly preped and are clean.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:28:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the explaination!

I have always wondered how some Colt barrels are said to have chrome chambers but not chrome bores ?

how would they do that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:30:59 PM EDT
kinda figured it was something like that. Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 1:42:27 PM EDT
For doing chambers there would only be a post electrode.

Electricity likes the path of least resistance, and since the chromic acid is of constant value it will only cause the chrome to bond to an area equil to the radius.
Top Top