Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/27/2004 3:00:27 AM EST
I want to take the brake OFF a threaded barrel and twist on a new Phantom. The brake has a welded pin. Do I dremel it off? Drill? Don't bother? Haven't gone down this road yet so some quick 1-2's would be appreciated.

Thx,

H
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:06:46 AM EST
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=199788
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:07:48 AM EST
I have a cavarms barrel that HAD a cavcomp pinned on the threads. Once I learned the size of the pin, I got the opropiate bit size and drilled it. I actually started with a smaller bit then went up to the next size(used 3 bits), this seemed the make it a little easier. Use masking tape to mark off how far you need the bit to go, this way you wont go to far and you dont keep stoping to see your prgress.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:30:54 AM EST
CAREFULLY drill it BUT use a good vise in a strong drill press or a mill. The hard part will be getting the barrel situated in the vise so that the bit ONLY drills the pin and not the barrel. Once you remove MOST of the pin material out of the FS (remember, you do NOT need to remove the pin material from the barrel...just from the FS) transfer it to a working vise with appropiate protection for the barrel. In all probability, the FS, in addition to being pinned, was also silver soldered on so you will need a propane torch. There is "hi" temp silver solder and "low"temp silver solder. Most folks used the "hi" temp stuff to make it harder to remove and thus comply with BATF directives relative to being "not easily removed. Work slowly and carefully and you SHOULD be able to get it off with no damage to your barrel...the old FS will be defaced, though. Good luck
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:37:13 AM EST
good stuff....thanks guys
Top Top