Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 5:33:04 PM EDT
I'm looking to paint the stock on my Remington 700 and maybe my AR if that goes well.  Any special instructions on painting it, or do I just buy the $3 can of Krylon and go to town?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Alot of people here advise against using Krylon.  Me and probably 2 or 3 other guys would tell you, "Yeah go use krylon it's gonna wear off anyway it's a gun,  just hose it down every 6 months!"

Alot of people who like high quality durable finishes use Duracote and Norrell's Moly Resin.  

Here's one member,  Stickman's site:
www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm
A very good guide for finishing and refinishing.

Try searching for Alumahyde and Duracote as well!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
  Thanks for the posts Killagain and Stickman.  For right now, I only need to paint the stock on my Rem 700.  I bought a 700 VSF in .308, but I don't really care for the tan stock.  I just want to paint the stock black.  The barrel is new and I'm not interested in painting it just yet.

I found the refinishing site to be very informative.  Will the oven heating hurt my stock at all?  I saw someone cured their plastic at 250 degrees.  Would that be advised for my Rem stock or should I stay away from the oven?  Thanks.  isptroop38
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I do not recommend AlumaHyde II. I used it once and although its says resistant to most gun cleaners etc. Gun Scrubber ate it right off my AR15. The lower receiver was prepped properly and the directions followed to a "T".  AlumaHyde II is a step above Krylon from what I have been told.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you told me it was a step above Krylon Stick. Maybe not, but I know it isn't as good as the directions and description say.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#8]
  I emailed Norrells and they said they don't recommend it for plastics since the treated area is supposed to be able to handle 300 degrees.
  They did say they will be coming out with an air dry moly resin in a few weeks, but would sell the product only, not the service for the air dry because they don't have enough time.  Fine with me.  I'll wait a few weeks if the air dry moly resin is as good as the regular one.  Thanks again for all your input.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top