Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 9:38:10 PM EDT
Does anyone have a link or basic information on how to install a PRI latch to a standard RRA charging handle?  What tools will I need?  This is my first AR and first time to do this.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:14:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1/16" punch.
Small hammer, something like a tack hammer is perfect.
Punch out the roll pin holding the standard latch.
Don't push the pin all the way out, just far enough to release the old latch.
Put the new latch into place and push the roll pin back to where it started.

+1

be careful cause the spring will go flying if you dont hold the latch
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I just did my first one last night. It was easy, and I consider myself an EXTREME NOOB when it comes to AR's, but not hand tools. It took me a few tries to get it back together though. You have to hold the new latch in and align the holes while pushing (I used some long needle nose pliers) the pin back into place. I removed the pin all the way (by accident), so I ligned up the new latch, pushed my punch into the hole to hold the latch in the correct location, and then used my needle nose and a small hammer to push the pin all the way through which drove the punch out the other side and then used the punch to "set" the pin just below the surface so it's equal on both sides. Easily less than a 5 min job.

Good luck

Gene
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone!  Now I just have to wait for the PRi latch to get here.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
ok i got mine out with a nail and a monkey wrench as a hammer in my lap..... it's not at all difficult..... did my buds too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top